Authorities are widening their search for the West Point cadet who went missing with an M4

news

VIDEO: Defense Secretary Jim Mattis delivers the commencement address at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., May 27, 2017.

Approximately 130 soldiers from Fort Drum arrived at West Point on Monday to assist in the search for the cadet who has been missing since Friday evening, the U.S. Military Academy announced.


The cadet was last seen on Friday around 5:30pm, and did not report for "a scheduled military skills competition," West Point said in the Monday press release.

The cadet's M4 rifle is also missing, though he is not believed to have any ammunition or magazines with him.

"There is no indication the Cadet poses a threat to the public," the release says, "but he may be a danger to himself."

Lt. Col. Christopher Ophardt, a spokesman for the academy, told Military.com that the cadet was getting ready for a military skills event in order to be selected for next year's Sandhurst Military Skills Competition, adding that the cadet "left his rucksack, Kevlar helmet, and all of his magazines."

The cadets "had drawn their weapons to start going out," Ophardt told Military.com. "He was right outside the barracks, which is where the arms rooms are."

The newly-arrived soldiers, assigned to the 23rd Military Police company, and helicopters from the 2nd Aviation Detachment are working alongside New York State Police helicopters and drones to comb the grounds around the academy.

More than 2,000 acres have already been searched, per the press release,

New York State Police dive teams are also assisting in searching the Hudson River, as well as bodies of water on West Point grounds.

Working dogs from the CSX Railroad Police are on loan to authorities for the search along railroad tracks near West Point.

Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams, superintendent of West Point, said in a previous statement that the search will continue "with all means possible, on and off West Point. Safely locating the Cadet remains our focus and number one priority."


Gen. Chuck Horner (ret.) commanded the air campaign of Desert Storm (Task & Purpose photo illustration)

When Air Force Gen. Chuck Horner (ret.) took to the podium at the dedication of the National Desert Storm and Desert Shield Memorial site in Washington D.C. last February, he told the audience that people often ask him why a memorial is necessary for a conflict that only lasted about 40 days.

Horner, who commanded the U.S. air campaign of that war, said the first reason is to commemorate those who died in the Gulf War. Then he pointed behind him, towards the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, where the names of over 58,000 Americans who died in Vietnam are etched in granite.

"These two monuments are inexorably linked together," Horner said. "Because we had in Desert Storm a president and a secretary of defense who did the smartest thing in the world: they gave the military a mission which could be accomplished by military force."

The Desert Storm Memorial "is a place every military person that's going to war should visit, and they learn to stand up when they have to, to avoid the stupidness that led to that disaster" in Vietnam, he added.

Now, 29 years after the operation that kicked Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army out of Kuwait began, the U.S. is stuck in multiple wars that Horner says resemble the one he and his fellow commanders tried to avoid while designing Desert Storm.

Horner shared his perspective on what went right in the Gulf War, and what's gone wrong since then, in an interview last week with Task & Purpose.

Read More
Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar (U.S. Army photo)

The Navy SEAL accused of strangling Army Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar was promoted to chief petty officer two months after Melgar's death, according to a new report from The Daily Beast.

Read More
In this March 12, 2016, file photo, Marines of the U.S., left, and South Korea, wearing blue headbands on their helmets, take positions after landing on a beach during the joint military combined amphibious exercise, called Ssangyong, part of the Key Resolve and Foal Eagle military exercises, in Pohang, South Korea. (Associated Press/Yonhap/Kim Jun-bum)

Editor's Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

U.S. troops are still ready to "fight tonight" against North Korea despite the indefinite suspension of major military training exercises on the Korean peninsula, Pentagon officials said Tuesday.

Read More
A C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 911th Airlift Wing is towed across the flightline at March Air Reserve Base, California, Jan. 7, 2020. (Air Force photo by Joshua J. Seybert)

March Air Reserve Base in California will host nearly 200 U.S. citizens who were flown out of Wuhan, China due to the rapidly-spreading coronavirus, a Defense Department spokeswoman announced on Wednesday.

"March Air Reserve Base and the Department of Defense (DoD) stand ready to provide housing support to Health and Human Services (HHS) as they work to handle the arrival of nearly 200 people, including Department of State employees, dependents and U.S. citizens evacuated from Wuhan, China," said Pentagon press secretary Alyssa Farah in a statement on Wednesday.

Wuhan is the epicenter of the coronavirus, which is a mild to severe respiratory illness that's associated with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The virus has so far killed 132 people and infected nearly 6,000 others in China, according to news reports.

Read More

The number of U.S. troops diagnosed with Traumatic Brain Injury following Iran's missile attack on Al- Asad Air Base in Iraq now stands at 50, the Defense Department announced on Tuesday.

Read More