Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
4 teenagers arrested in slaying of senior airman who attempted to stop armed robbery
Two more teenagers have been arrested in connection with the shooting death of senior airman Shawn Mckeough Jr. in Arkansas last Friday.
Police in North Little Rock said Wednesday that Darrius Stewart, 17, and Keith Keshawn Harris, 16, have been charged with capital murder, for which they could face the death penalty, and aggravated robbery.
Both were due in court Wednesday morning and prosecutors are expected to try them as adults, police said.
Two others — Drequan Lamont Robinson and Keith Lamont Harris, both 18 — were arrested earlier this week and appeared in court on Tuesday. Both pleaded not guilty and were ordered held without bail.
Police have now apprehended everyone they believe was involved in the attempted robbery of a convenience store that ended with Mckeough's death.
According to court documents and police reports, Stewart and Robinson were dropped off at the Valero Big Red around 11:30 p.m. The two others stayed in the car.
Stewart and Robinson disguised their faces and then entered the store with guns drawn.
They ordered the customers in the store to lie on the ground and one of the them shouted at the cashier, "You think this is a (expletive) game. You think I am playing. Open the drawer right now."
At that point, Mckeough, an active duty senior airman at nearby Little Rock Air Force Base, charged at Stewart, who told police he heard a gunshot.
Mckeough was shot in the face and died at the scene. He was 23.
The two suspects fled before the cashier could hand over any money.
Mckeough had gone to the store with his girlfriend, Sarah Terrano, also of Westbrook, and three other friends. Terrano waited in the car and saw the two men go into the store and raise their arms toward the cashier and then the customers. She didn't see the shooting but heard the gunshot.
Family and friends of Mckeough, who has been in the U.S. Air Force since he graduated from Westbrook High School in 2014, said he died trying to protect others but also called the killing senseless.
His funeral arrangements have not been finalized.
©2019 the Portland Press Herald (Portland, Maine). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As many as 380 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan – which has nearly 300 passengers who have tested positive for the deadly coronavirus, now known as COVID-19 – will be extracted Sunday from Yokohama and flown to Travis Air Force Base near Fairfield and a Texas base for further quarantine.
The Army wants more soldiers, and it's using esports to put a 'finger on the pulse' of potential recruits
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
After whiffing on its recruiting goal in 2018, the Army has been trying new approaches to bring in the soldiers it needs to reach its goal of 500,000 in active-duty service by the end of the 2020s.
The 6,500-soldier shortfall the service reported in September 2018 was its first recruiting miss since 2005 and came despite it putting $200 million into bonuses and issuing extra waivers for health issues or bad conduct.
Within a few months of that disappointment, the Army announced it was seeking soldiers for an esports team that would, it said, "build awareness of skills that can be used as professional soldiers and use [its] gaming knowledge to be more relatable to youth."
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A New Mexico Army National Guard soldier from Mountainair, who served as a police officer and volunteer firefighter in the town, died Thursday from a non-combat related incident while deployed in Africa, according to the Department of Defense.
A news release states Pfc. Walter Lewark, 26, died at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti where he was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in the Horn of Africa.
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is requesting about as much money for overseas operations in the coming fiscal year as in this one, but there is at least one noteworthy new twist: the first-ever Space Force request for war funds.
Officials say the $77 million request is needed by Oct. 1 not for space warfare but to enable military personnel to keep operating and protecting key satellites.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors on Thursday accused Huawei of stealing trade secrets and helping Iran track protesters in its latest indictment against the Chinese company, escalating the U.S. battle with the world's largest telecommunications equipment maker.
In the indictment, which supersedes one unsealed last year in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, Huawei Technologies Co was charged with conspiring to steal trade secrets from six U.S. technology companies and to violate a racketeering law typically used to combat organized crime.