Seventh US Service Member Killed In Afghanistan This Year

news
Spc. Jeremiah Carter, from Mooresville, Ind., with Bravo Company, 2nd Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, conducts a dismounted presence patrol with his unit June 2, 2013 near Forward Operating Base Spin Boldak, Kandahar province, Afghanistan.
U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Shane Hamann

Editor’s Note: This article by Richard Sisk originally appeared on Military.com, the premier source of information for the military and veteran community.


A U.S. service member was killed by an improvised explosive device Tuesday while on foot patrol with Afghan forces engaged in an ongoing offensive against Islamic State fighters, the Pentagon said.

Pentagon officials did not give the service branch of the slain service member and withheld identification and other details until family members could be notified.

The death is the seventh for U.S. service members in Afghanistan this year — including three in January, one in June and two in August — and the second this year from an IED, according to the website icasualties.org.

Before Tuesday, 1,832 U.S. service members had been killed in Afghanistan since 2001, according to Defense Department data. U.S. deaths in other areas in support of the Afghan mission bring the total to 2,384.

"This was a combat situation, clearly," Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said at a news conference.

The service member was on a counter-terror mission with Afghan National Defense Security Forces against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria affiliate known as Islamic State-Khorasan Province (ISKP), which has gained a foothold in eastern Nangarhar province, Cook said.

It was unclear whether the service member set off the IED or it was triggered remotely, but there were no immediate indications that the U.S. service member was specifically targeted, Cook said. There were no other U.S. or Afghan casualties in the incident.

The death "highlights the risk our service members are taking every day" in the fight against ISIS, Cook said.

The death came as other U.S. "enablers" in Afghanistan were partnered with Afghan troops in beating back a coordinated Taliban offensive aimed at retaking the north-central city of Kunduz, he said.

Army Brig. Gen. Charles H. Cleveland, a spokesman for U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, told The New York Times that he could not provide details on the "current disposition of enabler and train, advise and assist forces" in Kunduz because the operation is still underway.

Cleveland said — and Cook later confirmed — that there had been at least one action by a U.S. helicopter in dropping off Afghan troops to assist in the defense of the western part of the city.

Afghan officials said the city's center has been cleared of the Taliban and clearing operations are continuing in other sectors. Late last year, a major Taliban offensive briefly took the city but was driven back with the aid of U.S. airstrikes.

The U.S. currently has about 9,500 troops in Afghanistan. President Barack Obama has approved keeping at least 8,400 there through next year.

The article originally appeared on Military.com.

More from Military.com:

U.S. Airmen from the 22nd Airlift Squadron practice evasive procedures in a C-5M Super Galaxy over Idaho Dec. 9, 2019. The flight included simulated surface-to-air threats that tested their evasion capabilities. (Air Force photo/Senior Airman Amy Younger)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As many as 380 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan – which has nearly 300 passengers who have tested positive for the deadly coronavirus, now known as COVID-19 – will be extracted Sunday from Yokohama and flown to Travis Air Force Base near Fairfield and a Texas base for further quarantine.

Read More

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

After whiffing on its recruiting goal in 2018, the Army has been trying new approaches to bring in the soldiers it needs to reach its goal of 500,000 in active-duty service by the end of the 2020s.

The 6,500-soldier shortfall the service reported in September 2018 was its first recruiting miss since 2005 and came despite it putting $200 million into bonuses and issuing extra waivers for health issues or bad conduct.

Within a few months of that disappointment, the Army announced it was seeking soldiers for an esports team that would, it said, "build awareness of skills that can be used as professional soldiers and use [its] gaming knowledge to be more relatable to youth."

Read More

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A New Mexico Army National Guard soldier from Mountainair, who served as a police officer and volunteer firefighter in the town, died Thursday from a non-combat related incident while deployed in Africa, according to the Department of Defense.

A news release states Pfc. Walter Lewark, 26, died at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti where he was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in the Horn of Africa.

Read More

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is requesting about as much money for overseas operations in the coming fiscal year as in this one, but there is at least one noteworthy new twist: the first-ever Space Force request for war funds.

Officials say the $77 million request is needed by Oct. 1 not for space warfare but to enable military personnel to keep operating and protecting key satellites.

Read More

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors on Thursday accused Huawei of stealing trade secrets and helping Iran track protesters in its latest indictment against the Chinese company, escalating the U.S. battle with the world's largest telecommunications equipment maker.

In the indictment, which supersedes one unsealed last year in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, Huawei Technologies Co was charged with conspiring to steal trade secrets from six U.S. technology companies and to violate a racketeering law typically used to combat organized crime.

Read More