In a mystery-shrouded press conference at the Department of Veterans Affairs this morning, VA Secretary Dr. David Shulkin announced that the department would move quickly to adopt the same electronic health-records system that the Department of Defense uses — a move once mulled by the Obama administration that veterans advocates are praising today.
“The president made clear that we’re going to do things differently for our veterans, to include in the area of EHR,” Shulkin said, adding that the department’s current VistA e-records system “is in need of major modernization... and software development is not a core competency of VA.”
The announcement was long on ambitions and short on details — such as how long it will take to implement the switch and how much it might cost — but IT improvements have been a major priority for Shulkin, a doctor who ran the Veterans Health Administration before President Donald Trump tapped him to run VA in January.
“This can certainly have an impact on scheduling as well,” Shulkin said of the move. It’s hoped that putting vets on a single records system could streamline their entire care process for a lifetime. The secretary added that VA would also make "significant cybersecurity enhancements” as part of the upgrade.
“No more complications. The records will now be able to follow the veteran when they leave service, meaning faster, better, and far better quality care,” Trump said on Monday in a separate press conference.
Trump called the announcement “one of the biggest wins for our veterans in decades.”
There is some fine print to the plan, though: First, the DoD’s health records system is based on a commercial platform, developed by Kansas City, Missouri-based Cerner Corporation — and in order to enter into a contract with Cerner for VA records, Shulkin had to sign a special waiver to skip a competitive-bidding process. Second, VA has unique needs for recordkeeping that DoD doesn’t, so the department will be asking Cerner for “additional capabilities to maximize interoperability,” Shulkin said.
The VA secretary, who has cultivated a close working relationship with Trump, got a surprise plug for his press conference from the president’s Twitter account, and from Joe Chenelly, national executive director of AMVETS, one of the U.S.’s most powerful veterans service organizations:
The response to the announcement has been largely positive among veterans advocates and reporters who cover VA:
The timing of Shulkin’s announcement may have been a surprise, but the substance was not. Early on in his first term in 2009, then-president Barack Obama proposed a similar EHR-sharing plan between VA and DoD. "When a member of the armed forces separates from the military, he or she will no longer have to walk paperwork from a [Defense Department] duty station to a local VA health center," Obama explained. "Their electronic records will transition along with them and remain with them forever." That plan never came to fruition. There were indications in February, though, that VA would move forward with an off-the-shelf commercial EHR solution.
Some critics, however, say that scrapping VistA represents a massive bureaucratic failure, after VA spent billions — and its IT experts spent 40 years — building the novel, in-house records system.
“The whole story of how VistA was born, grew and slid into disrepair illustrates just how difficult it can be for the government to handle innovation in its midst,” Politico’s Arthur Allen wrote in March.
President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.
The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.
"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."
It's a photo for the ages: a Marine NCO, a Greek god in his dress blues, catches the eye of a lovely young woman as her boyfriend urges her on in distress. It's the photographic ancestor of the much-loved "distracted boyfriend" stock photo meme, made even sweeter by the fact that this is clearly a sailor about to lose his girl to a Devil Dog.
Well, this photo and the Marine in it, which hopscotched around Marine Corps Facebook and Instagram pages before skyrocketing to the front page of Reddit on Thursday, are very real.
The photo shows then-Staff Sgt. Louis A. Capozzoli — and he is absolutely not on his way to steal your girl.
MAPLE, N.C. -- A maritime center with a pool big enough to hold a small ship and simulate hurricane conditions is set to open in Currituck County, North Carolina, in two years. It will serve to train groups such as special forces, law enforcement and offshore wind crews.