Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Sig Sauer Blames Bad Ammunition For ‘Defective’ Handguns Supplied To NJ Police
New Hampshire-based firearms manufacturer Sig Sauer is pushing back amid allegations that it supplied New Jersey state police with about $2 million worth of defective handguns, Guns.com reports.
Sig Sauer says it now believes the defects were not caused by the design of its weapons — as a lawsuit filed by the New Jersey attorney general’s office alleges — but rather the specific ammunition used by state police while testing a batch of 3,000 P229 9mm semiautomatic pistols, which the company sold the department in September 2014.
“Sig Sauer’s investigation of the failure mode indicates a contributing factor may be a compatibility issue between this unique NJSP P229 and the specific training ammunition used by the NJSP,” the company said in a statement on May 22. Adding, “The P229s functioned when using their duty ammunition.”
The state of New Jersey filed a complaint against Sig Sauer for breach of contract, alleging that the handguns “sporadically” experienced failure to extract malfunctions during training, leading the department to conclude that the P229s were not safe for use in the field.
“An FTE malfunction renders a gun unfit for police use because a Trooper may be unable to fire more than one round of ammunition in a life-threatening situation,” reads the complaint, which was filed in late April.
Sig Sauer had worked closely with the department to fix the problem over a period of 16 months, according to the lawsuit, replacing various components and, eventually, even the weapons themselves when the state police realized Sig Sauer had supplied them with the wrong gun. The department had ordered the p229 Legacy, but Sig Sauer instead delivered 3,000 models of the P229 Enhanced Elite — which is a similar firearm, but with a different extractor system.
New Jersey police ultimately decided to abandon the P229 altogether and replace it with the Glock 19.
The state of New Jersey is suing for a full refund for the P229s, as well as $856,680.21 for the cost of the holsters purchased for the handgun, and also an unspecified sum to cover the money spent on ammunition to test the weapons.
In its statement, Sig Sauer claims that it was surprised by the lawsuit. “Sig Sauer is committed to customer satisfaction, and stands ready to continue these discussions and work with NJSP to reach an equitable solution,” the company said.
Sig Sauer is one of the largest firearms contractors in the United States, and the P229 is the favored handgun of the U.S. Coast Guard, Secret Service, and other law enforcement agencies across the country. Earlier this year, the company won a half-billion dollar contract with the U.S. Army to supply its new service pistol, the P320, which will replace the Beretta M9.
Sig Sauer is also being sued for patent infringement by Steyr Arms, who is alleging that Sig’s P250 and P320 pistols use the same “plastic housing and multifunction metal part removably mounted” Steyr patented back in 2001.
The Marine lieutenant colonel who was removed from command of 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May is accused of lying to investigators looking into allegations of misconduct, according to a copy of his charge sheet provided to Task & Purpose on Monday.
President Donald Trump just can't stop telling stories about former Defense Secretary James Mattis. This time, the president claims Mattis said U.S. troops were so perilously low on ammunition that it would be better to hold off launching a military operation.
"You know, when I came here, three years ago almost, Gen. Mattis told me, 'Sir, we're very low on ammunition,'" Trump recalled on Monday at the White House. "I said, 'That's a horrible thing to say.' I'm not blaming him. I'm not blaming anybody. But that's what he told me because we were in a position with a certain country, I won't say which one; we may have had conflict. And he said to me: 'Sir, if you could, delay it because we're very low on ammunition.'
"And I said: You know what, general, I never want to hear that again from another general," Trump continued. "No president should ever, ever hear that statement: 'We're low on ammunition.'"
This 400-pound feral hog is one of more than 1,200 that have invaded a Texas Air Force base since 2016
At least one Air Force base is waging a slow battle against feral hogs — and way, way more than 30-50 of them.
A Texas trapper announced on Monday that his company had removed roughly 1,200 feral hogs from Joint Base San Antonio property at the behest of the service since 2016.
In a move that could see President Donald Trump set foot on North Korean soil again, Kim Jong Un has invited the U.S. leader to Pyongyang, a South Korean newspaper reported Monday, as the North's Foreign Ministry said it expected stalled nuclear talks to resume "in a few weeks."
A letter from Kim, the second Trump received from the North Korean leader last month, was passed to the U.S. president during the third week of August and came ahead of the North's launch of short-range projectiles on Sept. 10, the South's Joongang Ilbo newspaper reported, citing multiple people familiar with the matter.
In the letter, Kim expressed his willingness to meet the U.S. leader for another summit — a stance that echoed Trump's own remarks just days earlier.
Constant deployments broke the Air Force's B-1 fleet. Now the service is facing a major bomber shortfall
On April 14, 2018, two B-1B Lancer bombers fired off payloads of Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles against weapons storage plants in western Syria, part of a shock-and-awe response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's use of chemical weapons against his citizens that also included strikes from Navy destroyers and submarines.
In all, the two bombers fired 19 JASSMs, successfully eliminating their targets. But the moment would ultimately be one of the last — and certainly most publicized — strategic strikes for the aircraft before operations began to wind down for the entire fleet.
A few months after the Syria strike, Air Force Global Strike Command commander Gen. Tim Ray called the bombers back home. Ray had crunched the data, and determined the non-nuclear B-1 was pushing its capabilities limit. Between 2006 and 2016, the B-1 was the sole bomber tasked continuously in the Middle East. The assignment was spread over three Lancer squadrons that spent one year at home, then six month deployed — back and forth for a decade.
The constant deployments broke the B-1 fleet. It's no longer a question of if, but when the Air Force and Congress will send the aircraft to the Boneyard. But Air Force officials are still arguing the B-1 has value to offer, especially since it's all the service really has until newer bombers hit the flight line in the mid-2020s.