Marines With Silent Drill Platoon Under Investigation For Hazing

news

The Marine Corps is investigating claims of hazing involving members of the Silent Drill Platoon, Corps officials announced on Tuesday.


On  Nov. 2, five Marines were placed in pretrial confinement, one of whom has since returned to Marine Corps Barracks Washington, D.C., a Corps official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday. The other four Marines have review hearings slated for this week. Military.com first reported the number of Marines involved.

No details about what the Silent Drill Platoon members are alleged to have done were immediately available on Tuesday.

Here is Marine Barracks Washington’s full statement:

"Marine Barracks Washington is cooperating with an ongoing Naval Criminal Investigative Service investigation into allegations of hazing involving members of the Silent Drill Platoon.

Marine Barracks Washington takes any and all claims of hazing seriously and immediately began an internal command investigation into the allegations before turning that investigation over to NCIS.

Our Marine Corps values and sense of integrity are the foundation of our Corps and we expect our Marines to uphold the highest standards of conduct. The Marines at the Barracks take pride in their daily duties and their reputation in the community, which was demonstrated in September when Marines helped first responders rescue and provide aid for our neighbors when an apartment complex caught fire.

The investigation remains open, therefore no additional information is available at this time."

SEE ALSO: Watch This Incredible Performance By The Corps’ Silent Drill Platoon For Marine Day

WATCH NEXT:

UPDATE: This story was updated at 6:03 P.M. on Nov. 6 to include the number of Marines allegedly involved with hazing.

Air Force Tech. Sgt. Cody Smith (Photo courtesy U.S. Air Force)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A U.S. Air Force combat controller will receive the nation's third highest award for valor this week for playing an essential role in two intense firefight missions against the Taliban in Afghanistan last year.

Tech. Sgt. Cody Smith, an airman with the 26th Special Tactics Squadron, 24th Special Operations Wing at Air Force Special Operations Command, will receive the Silver Star at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico on Nov. 22, the service announced Monday.

Read More Show Less
Some dank nugs. (Flickr/Creative Commons/Dank Depot)

SARASOTA, Fla. — With data continuing to roll in that underscores the health benefits of cannabis, two Florida legislators aren't waiting for clarity in the national policy debates and are sponsoring bills designed to give medical marijuana cards to military veterans free of charge.

Read More Show Less

Former Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, whom President Donald Trump recently pardoned of his 2013 murder conviction, claims he was nothing more than a pawn whom generals sacrificed for political expediency.

The infantry officer had been sentenced to 19 years in prison for ordering his soldiers to open fire on three unarmed Afghan men in 2012. Two of the men were killed.

During a Monday interview on Fox & Friends, Lorance accused his superiors of betraying him.

"A service member who knows that their commanders love them will go to the gates of hell for their country and knock them down," Lorance said. "I think that's extremely important. Anybody who is not part of the senior Pentagon brass will tell you the same thing."

"I think folks that start putting stars on their collar — anybody that has got to be confirmed by the Senate for a promotion — they are no longer a soldier, they are a politician," he continued. "And so I think they lose some of their values — and they certainly lose a lot of their respect from their subordinates — when they do what they did to me, which was throw me under the bus."

Read More Show Less
Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps march during a parade to commemorate the anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war (1980-88), in Tehran September 22, 2011. (Reuters photo)

Fifteen years after the U.S. military toppled the regime of Saddam Hussein, the Army's massive two-volume study of the Iraq War closed with a sobering assessment of the campaign's outcome: With nearly 3,500 U.S. service members killed in action and trillions of dollars spent, "an emboldened and expansionist Iran appears to be the only victor.

Thanks to roughly 700 pages of newly-publicized secret Iranian intelligence cables, we now have a good idea as to why.

Read More Show Less
(Associated Press photo)

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Mark Esper expressed confidence on Sunday in the U.S. military justice system's ability to hold troops to account, two days after President Donald Trump pardoned two Army officers accused of war crimes in Afghanistan.

Trump also restored the rank of a Navy SEAL platoon commander who was demoted for actions in Iraq.

Asked how he would reassure countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq in the wake of the pardons, Esper said: "We have a very effective military justice system."

"I have great faith in the military justice system," Esper told reporters during a trip to Bangkok, in his first remarks about the issue since Trump issued the pardons.

Read More Show Less