SERVICE SABBATICAL
U.S. Air Force Maj. Mike "Stiffler" Gommel, 120th Fighter Squadron, says goodbye to his daughters Dylan (left) and Harlie (center) and his wife Jennifer at Buckley Air Force Base Colo., Nov 01, 2012.
U.S. Air Force Maj. Mike "Stiffler" Gommel, 120th Fighter Squadron, says goodbye to his daughters Dylan (left) and Harlie (center) and his wife Jennifer at Buckley Air Force Base Colo., Nov 01, 2012.
Photo by Tech. Sgt. Wolfram M. Stumpf

New Air Force Program Allows Airmen To Take A 3-Year Break For School, Family

Posted on
T&P on Facebook

Thanks to the Air Force’s new career Intermission Program, service members like Capt. Shannon Williams, a C-21 pilot, will be able to take up to three years off to tend to personal, professional, or academic matters. In the case of Williams, she will be using the opportunity to spend time with her newborn child, without having to choose between her military career  and her family.

The program is one of nine initiatives designed to offer new opportunities for women, minorities, and enlisted military personnel, and this is the Air Force’s first attempt at a multi-year sabbatical, and includes 32 airmen — 14 officers and 18 enlisted — reports the Military Times. For those currently signed up for the program, 70% are taking time off for school, and the remaining 30% are taking time off to start a family.

Get the full story at The Military Times.