Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Police charge South Carolina inmates involved in sextortion scheme
COLUMBIA, S.C. — Months after a U.S. Army veteran killed himself in his Greenville apartment, police officers have charged several inmates involved in a so-called "sextortion" scheme that investigators say may have driven him to the brink.
The inmates allegedly used cellphones to blackmail 24-year-old Jared Johns from their cells at Lee Correctional Institution, Greenville Police Chief Ken Miller said Friday.
But Lee Correctional is one of few prisons that employs a $1.5 million system that is supposed to block unauthorized cellphones from sending calls, texts or other communications to the outside world.
The incident is one of at least two instances in which inmates were able to get around the new system, which was installed in the wake of the deadly 2018 riot at Lee Correctional.
Tuesday, investigators at the Department of Corrections were alerted after several inmates posted a live-stream on Facebook from the inside of the maximum-security prison. At the time, officials at the department said they were not sure how inmates were able to get around the system.
During a news conference Friday, attended by Johns' parents, Director Bryan Stirling said that certain signal frequencies aren't stopped by the managed access technology. About a month ago, several phones made their way into Lee Correctional that could successfully circumvent the system, he added.
Stirling advocated hard for Congress to pass a bill that would allow cellphone jamming in prisons across the country, something that is currently prohibited.
"They shouldn't be here today," Stirling said. "There is a simple solution we've been advocating for since I got to the Department of Corrections. It's to jam these cellphone signals."
Johns committed suicide Sept. 11. During the course of the investigation into his death, police found several explicit text messages that appeared to be from a young woman, police chief Miller said.
They also found messages from people posing as the woman's parents, stating that the daughter was underage and they would not press charges against Johns if he paid for their silence, Miller said. There was also evidence of calls from people claiming to be local police officers, he added.
The messages — which were all allegedly sent by inmates John William Dobbins and Carl Richard Smith — "created sufficient mental anguish because Jared believed he was going to be accused of a serious crime with life-long implications," Miller said. Police believe Johns did not know he was being blackmailed.
Dobbins and Smith have both been charged with blackmailing the young veteran.
The incident was part of a larger scheme orchestrated by South Carolina's inmates. More than 400 military service members were affected by the "sextortion" charade, which used dating services to blackmail veterans out of more than $560,000.
"They are physically incarcerated, but as we see here today, they are virtually out there amongst us," Stirling said.
©2019 The State (Columbia, S.C.) Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
- South Carolina Inmates Allegedly Posed As Underage Girls To ... ›
- Army Veteran Commits Suicide Amid Sextortion Scam - Task ... ›
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.
On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.
A new documentary series about Clint Lorance pits the infantry officer convicted of murder against his former soldiers
The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the five-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.
A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).
But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.
Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.
The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.
The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.
"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.
The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.