Report: US, South Korea To Suspend War Games Amid North Korea Dialogue

Bullet Points

The United States and South Korea are set to announce the immediate suspension of joint military exercises between the two countries following President Donald Trump's landmark summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, South Korea's Yonhap News reported on Sunday.


  • Citing a government source, Yonhap's June 17 report claims that any pause to the large-scale military exercises would include a provision mandating that combined training would resume should North Korea "fail to deliver on its denuclearization commitment."
  • The fate of the exercises has remained ambiguous amid the new dialogue between the United States and North Korea. Trump had on June 12 announced the end of the “tremendously expensive” and “very provocative" annual drills, but that announcement reportedly caught U.S. Forces Korean and the ROK Republic of Korea Armed Forces by surprise.
  • “In coordination with our ROK [Republic of Korea] partners, we will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance from the Department of Defense and/or Indo-Pacific Command," a spokeswoman for U.S. Forces Korea told Military Times on June 12 of the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercises planned for September that proved a sticking point with North Korea in the run-up to the summit.
  • T&P;'s Jeff Schogol reported previously that it remained unclear if the "war games" mentioned by Trump also included regular training exercises between the United States and South Korea, but it seems likely. According to The Diplomat, the U.S. didn't even deploy the traditional strategic assets like long-range bombers and nuclear-powered warships during this year's Foal Eagle/Key Resolve exercises back in April.

In the meantime, Yonhap also reported on Sunday that all of South Korea's maritime forces (plus its Air Force) are gearing up for regular maritime drills "with an aim to better safeguard the country's easternmost islets of Dokdo" — exercises that will include six warships and seven aircraft. So there's that too, I guess.

WATCH NEXT:

The Pentagon's top spokesman tried to downplay recent revelations by the Washington Post that U.S. government officials have consistently misled the American public about the war in Afghanistan for nearly two decades.

Washington Post reporter Craig Whitlock first brought to light that several top officials acknowledged to the Office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction that the war was going badly despite their optimistic public statements. The report, based on extensive interviews and internal government data, also found that U.S. officials manipulated statistics to create the public perception that the U.S. military was making progress in Afghanistan.

Read More Show Less

Katherine Burton was sitting on her couch when she heard a scream.

Though she had not yet met her upstairs neighbors, Army. Col. Jerel Grimes and his wife Ellizabeth, Burton went to investigate almost immediately. "I knew it was a cry for help," she recalled of the August 1 incident.

Above her downstairs apartment in Huntsville, Alabama, Jerel and Ellizabeth had been arguing. They had been doing a lot of that lately. According to Ellizabeth, Jerel, a soldier with 26 years of service and two Afghanistan deployments under his belt, had become increasingly controlling in the months since the couple had married in April, forcing her to share computer passwords, receipts for purchases, and asking where she was at all times.

"I was starting to realize how controlling he was, and how manipulative he was," Ellizabeth said. "And he'd never been this way towards me in the 15 years that I've known him."

Read More Show Less
Aerial footage of the vehicle involved in the June 6, 2019 rollover at West Point that left one cadet dead and 21 others injured. (NBC News screenshot)

Staff Sgt. Ladonies Strong, the soldier charged in September over a deadly vehicle rollover at West Point, will face trial by court-martial, Military.com reported and Task & Purpose confirmed.

Read More Show Less

Taliban fighters attempted to fight their way into Bagram Airfield on Wednesday by invading a medical facility just outside of the base's perimeter, a spokesman for Operation Resolute Support said Wednesday.

J.P. Lawrence of Stars and Stripes and Jim LaPorta of Newsweek first reported that the battle lasted for several hours after using car bombs to attack the hospital, which is near the base's northern corner. Helicopter and fixed-wing aircraft were reportedly used to drop ordnance on the hospital.

Read More Show Less
(Department of Defense)

Actor Mark Wahlberg will be visiting troops overseas to plug Wahlburgers, a fast-casual restaurant chain owned by the actor and his two brothers, Donnie Wahlberg, and chef Paul Wahlberg.

Read More Show Less