Roughly a dozen U.S. troops showing concussion-related symptoms are being medically evacuated from Al-Asad Air Base in Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, a defense official told Task & Purpose on Tuesday.

Read More
Debris and rubble are seen at the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province, Iraq January 13, 2020. (REUTERS/John Davison)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States treated 11 of its troops for symptoms of concussion after an Iranian missile attack on an Iraqi base where U.S. forces were stationed, the U.S. military said on Thursday, after initially saying no service members were hurt.

The attack was retaliation for a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad on Jan. 3 that killed Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the elite Quds Force of Iran's Revolutionary Guard.

President Donald Trump and the U.S. military had said there were no casualties after the strike on the Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq and a facility in its northern Kurdish region.

Read More
U.S. soldiers are seen at the site where an Iranian missile hit at Ain al-Asad air base in Anbar province, Iraq January 13, 2020. (REUTERS/John Davison)

AIN AL-ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq (Reuters) - Troops at the Iraqi air base that bore the brunt of Iran's first direct missile attack against U.S. forces said they were shocked by its intensity and grateful to emerge unscathed.

The scale of the damage at the Ain al-Asad base showed Iran's destructive capability at a time when U.S. officials say they are still concerned that Iran-backed groups across the region could wage attacks on the United States.

"It's miraculous no one was hurt," Lt Col Staci Coleman, the U.S. air force officer who runs the airfield, told reporters on Monday at the vast base deep in the western Anbar desert in Iraq, where 1,500 Americans were deployed. "Who thinks they're going to have ballistic missiles launched at them ... and suffer no casualties?"

Read More
Iranian women react as they gather to mourn General Qassem Soleimani, head of the elite Quds Force, who was killed in an air strike at Baghdad airport, in Tehran, Iran January 4, 2020. (Nazanin Tabatabaee/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS)

DUBAI (Reuters) - A Revolutionary Guards commander said Iran would take "harsher revenge soon" after Tehran launched missile attacks on U.S. targets in Iraq in retaliation for last week's U.S. killing of an Iranian general, Tasnim news agency reported on Thursday.

The agency was quoting senior commander Abdollah Araghi, speaking after U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that Iran appeared to be "standing down" after the missile strikes that did not harm any U.S. troops in Iraq.

Read More
Al Asad air base in Iraq is seen in a satellite picture taken January 8, 2020. (Planet/Handout via REUTERS.)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider

Satellite images show the damage after Iran launched more than a dozen missiles at bases housing US and coalition forces in Iraq early Wednesday morning — an attack that caused some damage but did not result in casualties.

The images, taken by Planet Labs and first reported by NPR, show that multiple structures at Al-Asad Air Base were hit during the attack.

The base facilities that were damaged in the strike appear to house equipment and aircraft rather than personnel, Dave Schmerler, an analyst with the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey, told NPR.

Read More
Al Asad Air Base in Iraq is seen in a satellite picture taken January 8, 2020. (Planet/Handout via REUTERS)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Iran is believed to have deliberately avoided U.S. military casualties during retaliatory missile strikes on bases housing American troops in Iraq, following the U.S. killing of an Iranian general, according to U.S. and European government sources familiar with intelligence assessments.

Read More
© 2018 Hirepurpose. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.