WASHINGTON (Reuters) - About 350 Americans who left Wuhan, China, aboard two planes arrived at a U.S. military base in California on Wednesday, in Washington's latest effort to fly its citizens away from the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak.

The U.S. travelers on two State Department-chartered flights will be quarantined for 14 days after landing, the U.S. Defense Department said in a statement.

The jets landed at Travis Air Force Base, about midway between San Francisco and Sacramento, KNTV television reported, showing images of two planes on the tarmac on its website.

Read More
Joseph Ruiz, a contractor who works for Starlight Corporation sprays water on the bottom of a C-17 Globemaster III during an aircraft wash at March Air Reserve Base, California, Jan. 8, 2020. (U.S. Air Force/Joshua J. Seybert)

The 195 Americans who fled Wuhan, China this week and are now being housed at March Air Reserve Base in Ontario, California will be quarantined for two weeks, tweeted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday.

NPR reported the CDC as saying that the 14-day period began with their removal from Wuhan on Tuesday. CDC official Dr. Nancy Messonnier told NPR that the quarantine order is "an unprecedented action" in response to "an unprecedented public health threat."

"We would rather be remembered for overreacting than under-reacting," said Messonnier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, on a press call with reporters, according to The Washington Examiner. Messonier said she does not believe the presence of the quarantined evacuees will affect the residents of Ontario, NPR said.

Read More
Passengers walk past personnel in protective clothing after arriving on an aircraft, chartered by the U.S. State Department to evacuate government employees and other Americans from the novel coronavirus threat in the Chinese city of Wuhan, at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside County, California, U.S., January 29, 2020. (Reuters/Mike Blake)

WASHINGTON/BEIJING (Reuters) - The Trump administration launched a task force with a brief to protect the United States from the fast-spreading coronavirus, as the country prepared to evacuate more of its citizens from the epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, China.

In a statement on Thursday, the U.S. State Department said Washington would arrange extra evacuation flights from Wuhan with capacity for private U.S. citizens, on or about Feb. 3.

It did not say how many planes it would deploy for how many people, but that passengers would be subject to screening, health observations and monitoring requirements.

Read More
A C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 911th Airlift Wing is towed across the flightline at March Air Reserve Base, California, Jan. 7, 2020. (Air Force photo by Joshua J. Seybert)

March Air Reserve Base in California will host nearly 200 U.S. citizens who were flown out of Wuhan, China due to the rapidly-spreading coronavirus, a Defense Department spokeswoman announced on Wednesday.

"March Air Reserve Base and the Department of Defense (DoD) stand ready to provide housing support to Health and Human Services (HHS) as they work to handle the arrival of nearly 200 people, including Department of State employees, dependents and U.S. citizens evacuated from Wuhan, China," said Pentagon press secretary Alyssa Farah in a statement on Wednesday.

Wuhan is the epicenter of the coronavirus, which is a mild to severe respiratory illness that's associated with symptoms of fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The virus has so far killed 132 people and infected nearly 6,000 others in China, according to news reports.

Read More
Nawres Waleed Hamid in a photo taken at American River College in 2015 (American River College via The Sacramento Bee)

A U.S. defense contractor killed in Iraq in December — during a rocket attack that led to heightened tensions with Iran and the killing of a prominent Iranian military leader — was buried Saturday in Sacramento, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Nawres Waleed Hamid died Dec. 27 in the rocket strike on an Iraqi military base where he worked as a linguist, according to the Bee and wire service reports.

Read More
U.S. Representative Duncan Hunter leaves federal court after pleading guilty to misusing campaign funds, in San Diego, California, U.S., December 3, 2019. (REUTERS/Mike Blake)

SAN DIEGO (Reuters) - U.S. Representative Duncan Hunter, a leading California Republican who pleaded guilty last month to a federal corruption charge of conspiracy to misuse campaign funds, announced on Tuesday that he would resign from office effective Jan. 13.

Hunter, 43, whose conviction set off a scramble within the Republican Party to succeed him while seemingly boosting Democrats' chances to gain his seat, notified Governor Gavin Newsom and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi by letter of his departure date.

Read More
© 2018 Hirepurpose. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.