Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
An anthrax vaccine made this JBLM soldier seriously ill. The Army still made her take it 3 times, lawsuit says
A 35-year-old Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier has sued the United States, alleging she was forced to get anthrax vaccines that made her seriously ill.
Emel Bosh said she had to get the vaccine three times, even after she objected when they started making her more and more sick.
Court records allege she had 20 to 25 "life-threatening seizures" after the final vaccine and that the vaccines weren't necessary because the chemical specialist wasn't scheduled to deploy to a high-risk area.
Madigan Army Medical Center sent The News Tribune's request for comment about Bosh's lawsuit to the U.S. Attorney's Office.
A U.S. Attorney's Office spokesperson referred the newspaper to its court filings in the case.
Dying of cancer, this Green Beret has one last mission: Getting Congress to fight for military medical malpractice reform
"You think you're limited on time? You ought to talk to me about limited time."
Sgt. 1st Class Richard Stayskal is dying.
The 38-year-old Green Beret's cancer was missed by Army care providers in 2017, and is now terminal. For the last year he's been fighting to change a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, which bars Stayskal and his family from suing the government for the alleged medical malpractice.
That's why, on Sept. 9 and 10, instead of being home in Pinehurst, North Carolina, with his wife and two daughters, Stayskal was in Washington, D.C. trying to drum up support for his namesake legislation, the SFC Richard Stayskal Military Medical Accountability Act, which would allow service members to sue the government for certain medical malpractice incidents.
Over two days, Stayskal and his attorney, Natalie Khawam, visited the offices of eight senators — Jack Reed (D-R.I.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.), John Neely Kennedy (R-La.), Martha McSally (R-Ariz.), and Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).
They had face time with none of them.
On Tuesday Sens. John Kennedy (R-La.) and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) introduced bipartisan legislation that would allow service members to sue the government for military medical malpractice.
It all began with a medical check.
Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.
It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.
Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.
Court rejects appeal of $100 million wrongful death suit brought by family of Marine recruit called a 'terrorist' and hazed by drill instructor
WASHINGTON – An appellate court panel rejected on Tuesday the $100-million wrongful death claim brought by the family of a Marine recruit from Taylor who died in a fall, saying it was bound to do so under a much-criticized Supreme Court precedent.
Raheel Siddiqui's family brought the claim after investigators found evidence of hazing by Siddiqui's drill instructor prior to the 20-year-old recruit's death at the training base at Parris Island, South Carolina, in 2016.
Green Beret with terminal cancer meets Trump to rally support for military medical malpractice reform
On July 17, Army Sgt. 1st Class Richard Stayskal briefly met with President Donald Trump at a rally in Greenville, North Carolina to discuss the eponymous legislation that would finally allow victims of military medical malpractice to sue the U.S. government.
A Green Beret with terminal lung cancer, Stayskal has spent the last year fighting to change the Feres Doctrine, a 1950 Supreme Court precedent that bars service members like him from suing the government for negligence or wrongdoing.