WASHINGTON (Reuters) - North Korea has restored part of a missile launch site it began to dismantle after pledging to do so in a first summit with U.S. President Donald Trump last year, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency and two U.S. think tanks reported on Tuesday.
President Donald Trump says he rebuffed an offer by North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un to dismantle its nuclear complex at Yongbyon if the United States ended all sanctions against North Korea.
"There was a potential we could've signed something today," Trump told reporters in Hanoi on Thursday. "I could've 100% signed something today. We actually had papers ready to be signed, but it just wasn't appropriate. I want to do it right. I'd much rather do it right than do it fast."
In a rare press conference, North Korean officials disputed Trump's account of the negotiations, claiming that Pyongyang "had 'offered a realistic proposal' to begin the process of denuclearization," Bloomberg News reports
"[The] U.S. not accepting our proposal is missing an opportunity that comes once in a thousand years, North Korean Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son-Hui told reporters.
Intercontinental ballistic missiles are seen at a grand military parade celebrating the 70th founding anniversary of the Korean People's Army at the Kim Il Sung Square in Pyongyang, in this photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) February 9, 2018 (KCNA/Reuters)
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - One of 20 undeclared ballistic missile operating bases in North Korea serves as a missile headquarters, according to a report by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) published on Monday.