(Google Maps)

One year after an active shooter scare plunged Wright-Patterson Air Force Base into hours of chaos, the military installation's leader is hoping more technology and better communication will prevent such a situation from repeating itself.

As the one year anniversary of the false alarm approaches Friday, Wright-Patt will again be conducting emergency exercises. The weeklong training started Monday.

After the active shooter incident last August, a review board's recommendations have been implemented in the hopes of avoiding a similar scare, said Col. Tom Sherman, 88th Air Base Wing and installation commander.

"We need to use what happened not as something that defines us, but something that makes us better," Sherman said. "I think that we're going into this better than we were at this time last year."

Read More Show Less

The chain of events that culminated in a security forces airman firing his M4 carbine five times at a locked door on Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, all began when an injured jogger was taken to the base emergency room, a command-directed investigation into the incident found.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force photo

To close out an unusually busy year of attempted security breaches at military installations in the continental United States, Nellis Air Force experienced what a leaked operational report characterized as an alleged abduction and sexual assault involving a civilian vehicle that reportedly breezed through the base's main gate earlier this week.

Read More Show Less

Conventional wisdom is that unconventional training can help keep you sharp, prepared for the unexpected, and ready for anything.

Read More Show Less
Google Maps via FNC

It turns out the false alarm about an active shooter at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base that led to an airman shooting at a locked door was even more of a Charlie Foxtrot than originally reported: One security forces airmen suffered “a minor injury, a laceration,” during the Aug. 2 incident, base spokeswoman Marie Vanover confirmed to Task & Purpose.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Air Force / Airman 1st Class Jonathan McElderry.

The commander of the Air Force security unit that lost a machine gun and grenades has been fired, officials announced on Wednesday.

Read More Show Less
© 2018 Hirepurpose. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service.