An Airman assigned to the 57th Rescue Squadron begins a freefall jump from a 37th Airlift Squadron C-130J Super Hercules during exercise Ares Shadow on Aug. 11, 2017. (U.S. Air Force/Airman 1st Class Eli Chevalier)
Parachuting, diving and mountaineering training and related operations are off-limits to U.S. airmen for now as Air ForceSpecial Operations Command investigates the deaths of two special tactics airmen.
AFSOC ordered the suspension earlier this month to allow officials to inspect associated equipment and review safety procedures, spokeswoman Maj. Amanda Reeves said in an email Tuesday. The news was first reported by Air Force Times.
"After a comprehensive evaluation is complete and any necessary changes are identified and implemented, operations are expected to resume," Reeves said. She added that officials have not identified a specific end date for the suspension.
Officials want to be "confident our safety procedures, training, and guidance protects the lives of our airmen to the maximum extent possible," she said.