An Air Force investigation into sexual assault allegations against Air Force Gen. John Hyten "was unable to find indications of an unprofessional relationship either electronically or through witness interviews," according to a redacted copy of the investigation, which was released on Friday.
The full Senate is expected to vote on Hyten's nomination to become the next vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in September. He has denied the allegations against him.
(Photo by Sgt. Zachary Sheely, 100th Missile Defense Brigade)
Senators voiced strong support to Air Force Gen. John Hyten, whose nomination as vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff no longer seems to be in danger of being derailed over sexual assault allegations against him.
"The truth is Gen. Hyten is innocent of these charges," Sen. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) said at Hyten's confirmation hearing on Tuesday. "Sexual assault happens in the military. It just didn't happen in this case."
Air Force Gen. John Hyten's nomination as the next vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff appears to be back on track after sexual allegations made by a former subordinate surfaced earlier in the month.
Currently the head of U.S. Strategic Command, Hyten will appear before the Senate Armed Services Committee on July 30, according to the committee's website.
Hyten is looking forward to his confirmation hearing, STRATCOM spokeswoman Karen Singer told Task & Purpose on Thursday.