Editor’s note: The Long March will be closed for inventory the month of August. We regret any inconvenience this causes our loyal customers. In an effort to keep you reasonably content and focussed, we are offering re-runs of some of the best columns of the year. We value your custom and hope you will stick around for . . . the Long March.
Nearly 15 years after the U.S. military toppled Iraqi president Saddam Hussein, the U.S. government is replaying its post-invasion script that only a few isolated groups of fighters remain in Iraq. After two suicide bombers killed more than 30 people in Baghdad on Jan. 15, a U.S. commander in Iraq said it is too early to determine whether ISIS has morphed into an insurgency.
Marine veteran Bill DeRoche had been encouraged for years to enter an art competition at the Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Injured in a 2004 bomb blast that struck his convoy in Iraq, it would be a way, he was told, to publicly address the trauma that continues to affect him.
When Iraqi journalist Ammar Alwaely decided to cover the U.S.-led coalition’s bloody siege of ISIS-occupied Mosul, he surely knew the risks. But Alwaely probably didn’t know how close he’d come to death — or that his camera would save his life.
The U.S. military will not maintain combat troops in Iraq following the annihilation of ISIS, Iraq’s Prime Minister insisted on Friday in a statement — rebutting a Thursday report from the Associated Press that the two governments were hammering out a deal on a “long-term” U.S. presence in the country.
The Trump administration and the Iraqi government are in negotiations to keep U.S. troops in Iraq following the conclusion of the multinational campaign against ISIS, officials from both governments told the Associated Press on Thursday.