One year after an active shooter scare plunged Wright-Patterson Air Force Base into hours of chaos, the military installation's leader is hoping more technology and better communication will prevent such a situation from repeating itself.
As the one year anniversary of the false alarm approaches Friday, Wright-Patt will again be conducting emergency exercises. The weeklong training started Monday.
After the active shooter incident last August, a review board's recommendations have been implemented in the hopes of avoiding a similar scare, said Col. Tom Sherman, 88th Air Base Wing and installation commander.
"We need to use what happened not as something that defines us, but something that makes us better," Sherman said. "I think that we're going into this better than we were at this time last year."