Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Taliban Fighters Massacre Scores Of Afghanistan Security Forces — Again
Taliban fighters massacred more than 57 Afghan military personnel and police officers in four separate attacks across northern Afghanistan, Afghan officials told the New York Times on Monday, the latest in a series of devastating and demoralizing attacks on security forces there.
- The Monday attack consisted of what the New York Times described as "simultaneous assaults on six outposts" in a single strategic district in the Kunduz Province followed by several devastating assaults in outlying provinces, all of which left at least a dozen Afghan soldiers and police officers dead.
- The offensive came the day after 40 Afghan security personnel were killed when the Taliban overran a military base in the Baghlan province, "the second major base to fall to the insurgents in Baghlan Province in the past month, and the third in northern Afghanistan during the same period," per the New York Times.
- The rough start to September for Afghan security forces comes after a month that saw Taliban fighters occupy Ghazni City and wipe out up to 100 Afghan commandos, their advance halted only when U.S. forces struck back with air support from B-1 bombers, A-10 Thunderbolt II attack craft, AH-64 Apache helicopters, and MQ-9 Reaper drones.
- It's unsurprising to read reports of Afghan security forces fleeing the path of oncoming Taliban hordes during the Kunduz and Ghazni City assaults, as the Times noted: Afghan soldiers and police officers a have increasingly endured particularly demoralizing defeats ever since Taliban commandos from the militants' so-called 'Red Unit' slaughtered scores of Afghan troops in a 36-hour period in November 2017.
- A new analysis by the New York Times suggests that the Taliban control far more territory in Afghanistan than previously disclosed to the public: 61% of the country compared to the 44% documented by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction.
The U.S. military campaign in Afghanistan turns 17 on October 17th — just old enough to fight in a war with no end in sight.
Navy SEAL and Marine Raider could get life in prison if convicted of murdering Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar
A Navy SEAL and Marine Raider charged with murder face a maximum penalty of life in prison without the possibility of parole now that they will have to appear before general courts-martial for their alleged roles in the death of Special Forces Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar, the Navy announced on Friday.
Navy Chief Special Warfare Operator Tony Dedolph and U.S. Marine Corps Gunnery Sgt. Mario Madero-Rodriguez have been charged with felony murder and other offenses, a Navy Region Mid-Atlantic news release said. If convicted, the maximum penalty for murder also includes reduction in rank to E-1, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a punitive discharge.
What started as a wildly popular Facebook hoax titled Storm Area 51, They Can't Stop All of Us back in June has since morphed into a real live event. That's right, the long awaited day is upon us.
As of Friday morning, people have begun to make their way to the secret U.S. military installation in the Nevada desert in search of answers to the questions that plague us all: Are we alone in the universe? Is our government secretly hiding a bunch of aliens? Just how fast can I "Naruto run" past the base gate? And how far can we take a joke with the U.S. military?
The Marine Corps is loading up one of its experimental unmanned ground vehicle with a buttload of firepower.
The Marine Corps Warfighting Lab is working on a prototype of its tracked Expeditionary Modular Autonomous Vehicle (EMAV) with a remote-controlled .50 caliber machine gun turret and a specialized launcher for kamikaze drones to accompany Marines in urban environments, Military.com reports.
An Air Force civilian has died at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar in a "non-combat related incident," U.S. Air Forces Central Command announced on Friday.
Jason P. Zaki, 32, died on Wednesday while deployed to the 609th Air Operations Center from the Pentagon, an AFCENT news release says.
At a time when taxpayer and foreign-government spending at Trump Organization properties is fueling political battles, a U.S. Marine Corps reserve unit stationed in South Florida hopes to hold an annual ball at a venue that could profit the commander in chief.
The unit is planning a gala to celebrate the 244th anniversary of the Marines' founding at President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach on Nov. 16, according to a posting on the events website Evensi.