Teen Arrested For Planning Pipe Bomb At Ramstein Air Base

news
Snow falls at the gate during the first snowfall of the season, Jan. 15, 2016, at Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Tryphena Mayhugh.

A 17-year-old Islamic State sympathizer planned to set off a pipe bomb near Ramstein Air Base but changed his mind because he didn’t want to “kill so many people,” according to media reports.


The Austrian weekly newspaper Falter reported this week that the 17-year-old, identified only as Lorenz K, told police of the plan after he was arrested in Vienna on Jan. 20 when an acquaintance reported him to authorities.

Falter said it had obtained a transcript of the youth’s questioning. German police and Austria’s Interior Ministry refused to comment on the report. “Report Mainz,” a German television show, had also received copies of the same transcript, media said.

According to Falter, Lorenz K., told police he planned to place the bomb under a garbage can near Ramstein, the largest U.S. air base overseas, in December.

“That is what I planned to do. But I did not have the heart to do it,” he was quoted by Falter as saying. “I could not … really kill so many people.”

Related: Islamic State Threatens More Attacks »

Base officials at Ramstein said Wednesday that they were aware of reports about the planned bombing and that base leadership regularly reminds airmen and their families to remain vigilant.

“The safety and security of our personnel and their families is one of our top priorities, and we take the responsibility for ensuring the security of our community very seriously,” base spokeswoman Kelly Sanders said in a statement. “We continually evaluate our security posture and procedures, and take necessary actions as appropriate to ensure our community remains safe and secure.”

Lorenz K., had found instructions online on how to make a bomb, similar to the one used by a 27-year-old Syrian man last summer who blew himself up outside a concert in Ansbach, the weekly said. Fifteen people were injured in that incident.

Falter, which said the man was a Muslim born in Austria, said it’s believed he was radicalized while spending time in prison in 2015 for a variety of offenses. While on probation, he told investigators, he contacted a member of the Islamic State group via Facebook.

Rather than fighting for the Islamic State in Syria, the suspect said, “I wanted to do something in Europe. I hate the German military because they participate in fights against Muslims.”

The Falter report was published on the eve of a series of predawn raids Wednesday in the German state of Hesse that targeted dozens of properties and resulted in the arrest in Frankfurt of a Tunisian suspected of planning a terrorist attack that city, The Associated Press and German news agencies reported.

The 36-year-old man, a Tunisian asylum-seeker, had been suspected of recruiting for the Islamic State in Germany since August 2015 and building up a network of supporters. He was arrested in Frankfurt.

Separately, German media reported Wednesday on a video aired recently by a Turkish television station. In propaganda-style, the video claimed that Turkish soldiers who formerly worked at Ramstein for NATO had helped plan the military coup last summer against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, with help from soldiers from other NATO countries.

Michael Wawrzyniak, NATO’s press secretary at Ramstein, told Germany broadcaster SWR that the accusations presented in the video were false and the report was full of misinformation.

Since the failed coup attempt in July, conspiracy theories have flourished in Turkey regarding the notion that the U.S. and NATO had a role in trying to overthrow Erdogan.

U.S. officials have rejected such accusations, which often have been carried in Turkish newspapers.

Still, the coup attempt has strained relations between Washington and Ankara, which has pulled many of its military officers from NATO headquarters in Brussels.

Stars and Stripes reporter John Vandiver contributed to this report.

———

© 2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

In this June 7, 2009 file photo Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant (24) points to a player behind him after making a basket in the closing seconds against the Orlando Magic in Game 2 of the NBA basketball finals in Los Angeles. Bryant, the 18-time NBA All-Star who won five championships and became one of the greatest basketball players of his generation during a 20-year career with the Los Angeles Lakers, died in a helicopter crash Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. He was 41. (Associated Press/Mark J. Terrill)

Beloved basketball legend Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and seven other people were killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California on Sunday. Two days earlier, Army Spc. Antonio I. Moore was killed during a vehicle rollover accident while conducting route clearing operations in Syria.

Which one more deserves your grief and mourning? According to Maj. Gen. John R. Evans, commander of the U.S. Army Cadet Command, you only have enough energy for one.

Read More
A screenshot from a video appearing to show the wreckage of an Air Force E-11A communications aircraft in Afghanistan (Twitter)

A U.S. E-11A Battlefield Airborne Communications Node aircraft crashed on Monday on Afghanistan, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein has confirmed.

Read More
U.S. Marines with 2nd Battalion, 7th Marines assigned to the Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force-Crisis Response-Central Command (SPMAGTF-CR-CC) 19.2, observe protestors toss Molotov Cocktails over the wall of the Baghdad Embassy Compound in Iraq, Dec. 31, 2019. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Kyle C. Talbot)

One person was injured by Sunday's rocket attack on the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad, Task & Purpose was learned. The injury was described as mild and no one was medically evacuated from the embassy following the attack.

Read More
The front gate of Dachau (Pixabay/Lapping)

At age 23 in the spring of 1945, Guy Prestia was in the Army fighting his way across southern Germany when his unit walked into hell on earth — the Nazi death camp at Dachau.

"It was terrible. I never saw anything like those camps," said Prestia, 97, who still lives in his hometown of Ellwood City.

Read More
The U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford (CVN-78) underway on its own power for the first time while leaving Newport News Shipbuilding, Newport News, Virginia (USA), on April 8, 2017. (U.S. Navy/Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Ridge Leoni)

Against a blistering 56 mph wind, an F/A-18F Super Hornet laden with fuel roared off the flight deck of the aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford and into the brilliant January sky.

No glitches.

Chalk up another step forward for America's newest and most expensive warship.

The Ford has been at sea since Jan. 16, accompanied by Navy test pilots flying a variety of aircraft. They're taking off and landing on the ship's 5 acre flight deck, taking notes and gathering data that will prove valuable for generations of pilots to come.

The Navy calls it aircraft compatibility testing, and the process marks an important new chapter for a first-in-class ship that has seen its share of challenges.

"We're establishing the launch and recovery capabilities for the history of this class, which is pretty amazing," said Capt. J.J. "Yank" Cummings, the Ford's commanding officer. "The crew is extremely proud, and they recognize the historic context of this."

Read More