Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Texas National Guard deployment to Mexico border ends next week
AUSTIN, Texas — The 1,000 Texas National Guardsmen deployed to the southern border to aid with an influx of immigrants earlier this year will return home next week after the completion of their mission, Pentagon officials said.
The return of the troops will mark the end of a controversial "short-term mission" by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, which Democrats decried as "reckless, unnecessary" and a potential harm to the U.S. trade relationship with Mexico. Abbott characterized the deployment as Texas doing a job the national government had reneged on.
In June, Abbott announced he would send the National Guard to the southern border to aid the federal government in mitigating the flow of migrants, especially from Central America, into the United States. He described an "escalating crisis" as 144,000 migrants had crossed the southwestern border in May, leading to overcrowding in federal holding facilities that resulted in allegations of child neglect and poor treatment by immigrants rights lawyers.
The 1,000 troops were to help federal immigration authorities at ports of entry and provide "supplemental staffing" at new immigration holding facilities in Donna and Tornillo, which together could house up to 4,500 people.
While Abbott chided Congress for not increasing funds to the Border Patrol to deal with asylum-seeking immigrants — particularly children — who had overrun holding facilities, the two facilities where the National Guard was sent only housed adults.
Abbott said the federal government would pay "100% of the costs" for the mission, which was set to last through Sept. 30. Later, the mission was extended through Nov. 15.
The Pentagon confirmed it would pick up the tab but could not provide a total cost for the mission on Wednesday.
Apprehensions at the Mexican border peaked in May, but steadily fell with 104,000 detained in June; 82,000 in July; 63,000 in August; and 53,000 in September. Texas National Guard troops arrived at the border in late July and early August.
©2019 The Dallas Morning News
Visit The Dallas Morning News at www.dallasnews.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
The U.S. Space Force has a name tape for uniforms now. Get excited people.
In a tweet from its official account, the Space Force said its uniform name tapes have "touched down in the Pentagon," sharing a photo of it on the chest of Gen. John W. Raymond, the newly-minted Chief of Space Operations for the new service branch nested in the Department of the Air Force.
PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump gave a minute-to-minute account of the U.S. drone strikes that killed Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani in remarks to a Republican fund-raising dinner on Friday night, according to audio obtained by CNN.
With his typical dramatic flourish, Trump recounted the scene as he monitored the strikes from the White House Situation Room when Soleimani was killed.
The U.S. Navy will name its fourth Ford-class aircraft carrier after Doris Miller, an iconic World War II sailor recognized for his heroism during the Pearl Harbor attack, according to reports in The Honolulu Star-Advertiser and U.S. Naval Institute News.
Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly is expected to announce the naming of CVN-81 during a ceremony on Monday in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, according to USNI. Two of Miller's nieces are expected to be there, according to the Star-Advertiser.
Two immigrants, a pastor and an Army sergeant have been convicted of conspiracy to commit marriage fraud as part of an illegal immigration scheme, according to federal prosecutors.
Rajesh Ramcharan, 45; Diann Ramcharan, 37; Sgt. Galima Murry, 31; and the Rev. Ken Harvell, 60, were found guilty Thursday after a nine-day jury trial, according to a news release from the U.S. attorney's office in Colorado.
The conspiracy involved obtaining immigration benefits for Rajesh Ramcharan, Diann Ramcharan, and one of their minor children, the release said. A married couple in 2007 came to the U.S. from Trinidad and Tobago on visitor visas. They overstayed the visas and settled in Colorado.
DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran said on Saturday it was sending to Ukraine the black boxes from a Ukrainian passenger plane that the Iranian military shot down this month, an accident that sparked unrest at home and added to pressure on Tehran from abroad.
Iran's Tasnim news agency also reported the authorities were prepared for experts from France, Canada and the United States to examine information from the data and voice recorders of the Ukraine International Airlines plane that came down on Jan. 8.
The plane disaster, in which all 176 aboard were killed, has added to international pressure on Iran as it grapples with a long running row with the United States over its nuclear program that briefly erupted into open conflict this month.