Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
A Texas student says he lost his military scholarship due to Trump's transgender ban
AUSTIN — A freshman at the University of Texas at Austin says he has lost his military scholarship because he is transgender man.
Map Pesqueira, a 19-year-old from San Antonio, said he was awarded a three-year Reserve Officers' Training Corps, or ROTC, scholarship beginning his sophomore year. But his financial aid is now invalid, he told The Dallas Morning News, under the federal government's new policy that bans many transgender troops from enlisting in the military.
"I was told that my scholarship is void," said Pesqueira, whose story was first reported in The Daily Texan. He added that it was important to tell "the story of ROTC cadets who are relying on a ROTC scholarship to fund their education.
Pesqueira's case has already garnered widespread condemnation from LGBT rights groups and some elected officials, including U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, who criticized the new policy Monday.
"I call on @UTAustin and all universities to make up lost scholarship money for all transgender students affected by President Trump's transgender military ban. It's not the students' fault they're losing these scholarships," Castro tweeted.
But the U.S. Department of Defense supplied The News with seemingly conflicting information about what the new policy would mean for transgender students with military aspirations.
"I'm checking on this, as I'm not aware of the specific case," spokeswoman Jessica R. Maxwell said in an email. "However, policy states that anyone enrolled in ROTC for the upcoming academic year falls under the 2016 policy."
The confusion could stem from how the new transgender troops enlistment policy affects scholarships for students who are not yet active duty soldiers.
In 2016, President Barack Obama began allowing transgender troops to openly serve as the sex with which they identify. President Donald Trump reversed that policy in March 2018, but his order was put on hold while it was challenged in court. In January, the U.S. Supreme Court lifted that hold while appeals were ongoing; the final legal block was lifted last month.
The new policy went into effect April 11. It bans the enlistment of new troops who have taken steps to transition to a gender different than that assigned to them at birth, either by taking hormones or getting surgery. Transgender soldiers who transitioned before April 12 are grandfathered in and may continue to serve; those who enlist after that date must serve as the sex they were designated at birth.
Pesqueira is a transgender man, meaning he identifies as male but was assigned a different sex at birth. He began his medical transition last year by taking hormones, and has changed his name and gender marker on his identifying documents. Last month, he received top surgery, which usually involves breast removal and chest re-contouring.
Last week, a few days before the new Trump administration policy went into effect, Pesqueira said he reached out to his adviser for information on how his transition would impact his financial aid. To be eligible for a UT-Austin ROTC scholarship, recipients must agree to accept a commission as a Regular Army, Army National Guard or Army Reserve officer. Pesqueira asked if he would be unable to enlist as male under the new policy.
Larry Mullen, deputy chief of the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board, said the student would have to reach out to his local ROTC contact for information about his scholarship, according to a copy of the email Pesqueira provided to The News.
Mullen then implied that regardless of his award, Pesqueira would be medically disqualified from service under the new policy.
"Yes, DoDMERB will medically disqualify you using the new standards," Mullen wrote. "That said, I do not know at this time what criteria/processing/etc., will be used in considering Army waivers for Transgender applicants. When I know something more, I will email you."
When Maxwell, the DoD spokeswoman, was asked to clarify, she said she could not comment on this case. She provided the following additional information, before referring The News to Army Public Affairs.
"No person, solely on the basis of gender identity, will be denied continuation of service," Maxwell said. "Individuals are exempt from the new 2018 policy (and fall under the 2016 policy) if they were selected for entrance into an officer commissioning program, and either were selected into ROTC in their preferred gender or received a diagnosis of gender dysphoria while a Service member."
Pesqueira said Lt. Col. Matthew O'Neill, his ROTC contact at UT-Austin, tried to salvage his scholarship but was told it would not be valid due to the policy change. This could not be independently confirmed with O'Neill, who serves as chair of the university's military science department.
Pesqueira said he does not know why the Department of Defense seems to be giving the media guidance that he said is different from what he was told last week.
"I'm not sure why they're telling you something different because I was told that my scholarship is void," Pesqueira told The News. "Maybe they caught wind of my story and it started getting very big and they're reconsidering" their stance.
He added that his friends, family and UT-Austin have been supportive. But even if he is allowed to serve openly under the Obama administration's policy, he said he was unsure whether he would enlist if other transgender troops could not.
"I live in San Antonio, which is commonly referred to as Military City USA," said Pesqueira, who remembers when Fort Sam Houston was opened up to the public for Fiesta and the Fourth of July. "Those events were when I fell in love with the military. Just being able to see the unit cohesion ... it really captivated me."
UT-Austin does not comment on individual students' cases without their consent due to privacy concerns, a spokesman said. But he added that the university tries to offer students help if they lose scholarships or other financial aid.
"We want all of our students to be successful at UT-Austin and we are committed to helping them make this a reality," J.B. Bird said. "Because every student situation is unique, we offer many different avenues for assistance for students who undergo sudden changes that might affect their access to a UT education."
©2019 The Dallas Morning News. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
WATCH NEXT: What It's Like Being Transgender In The Military
Former Marine Commandant tells Trump that pardoning troops accused of war crimes 'relinquishes the moral high ground'
Former Marine Commandant Gen. Charles Krulak has issued a statement urging President Donald Trump and members of Congress to oppose pardons for those accused or convicted of war crimes since, he argued, it would "relinquish the United States' moral high ground."
"If President Trump follows through on reports that he will mark Memorial Day by pardoning individuals accused or convicted of war crimes, he will betray these ideals and undermine decades of precedent in American military justice that has contributed to making our country's fighting forces the envy of the world," said Krulak, who served in the Marine Corps for more than three decades before retiring in 1999 as the 31st Commandant.
Editor's Note: The following story highlights a veteran at Associated Materials. Committed to including talented members of the military community in its workplace, Associated Materials Incorporated is a client of Hirepurpose, a Task & Purpose sister company. Learn more here.
Associated Materials, a residential and commercial siding and window manufacturer based in Ohio, employs people from a variety of backgrounds. The company gives them an opportunity to work hard and grow within the organization. For Tim Betsinger, Elizabeth Dennis, and Tanika Carroll, all military veterans with wide-ranging experience, Associated Materials has provided a work environment similar to the military and a company culture that feels more like family than work.
President Donald Trump will nominate Barbara Barrett to serve as the next Air Force secretary, the president announced on Tuesday.
"I am pleased to announce my nomination of Barbara Barrett of Arizona, and former Chairman of the Aerospace Corporation, to be the next Secretary of the Air Force," Trump tweeted. "She will be an outstanding Secretary! #FlyFightWin"
The Trump administration is trying to assure Congress that it does not want to start a war with Iran, but some lawmakers who fought in Iraq are not so sure.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford both briefed Congress on Tuesday about Iran. Shanahan told reporters earlier on Tuesday that the U.S. military buildup in the region has stopped Iran and its proxies from attacking U.S. forces, but the crisis is not yet over.
"We've put on hold the potential for attacks on Americans," Shanahan said. "That doesn't mean that the threats that we've previously identified have gone away. Our prudent response, I think, has given the Iranians time to recalculate. I think our response was a measure of our will and our resolve that we will protect our people and our interests in the region."
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump warned on Monday Iran would be met with "great force" if it attacked U.S. interests in the Middle East, and government sources said Washington strongly suspects Shi'ite militias with ties to Tehran were behind a rocket attack in Baghdad's Green Zone.
"I think Iran would be making a very big mistake if they did anything," Trump told reporters as he left the White House on Monday evening for an event in Pennsylvania. "If they do something, it will be met with great force but we have no indication that they will."