Watch The New US Missile Defense System In South Korea Blast A Rocket Out Of The Sky
U.S. defense officials confirmed on Tuesday that the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense, or THAAD missile defense system has been successfully deployed in South Korea.
THAAD, the world’s most advanced missile defense system, has both China and North Korea spooked, as its powerful radar could potentially spot and knock down Chinese missiles, and persistent rumors say it could be bad for the health of South Koreans in the region, despite evidence to the contrary.
But THAAD is a purely defensive weapons system. The missiles do not even carry warheads and rely solely on kinetic energy to smash incoming missiles without detonating their high explosive, or possibly nuclear payload.
In the clip below, see how THAAD knocks out an incoming missile threat.
More from Business Insider:
- Trump hints that the US may be sabotaging North Korea’s nuclear program
- Watch the Navy’s LOCUST launcher fire a swarm of drones
- The Trump administration keeps talking tough on the South China Sea with no plans to back it up
- These 11 declassified maps show how the CIA saw the world at the height of the Cold War
- China demands the US suspend its missile shield in South Korea