The Army Vet Who Nearly Gutted His Own Platoon Leader For Cowardice During WWII


World War II Army veteran Milton Miller says he has never forgotten an act of cowardice by his platoon leader.

It happened in the Alban Hills south of Rome following the Allied Forces' amphibious invasion on the Italian beaches of Anzio in January 1944.

"I saw these six wounded soldiers lying in the open and I threw my Browning automatic rifle to our new platoon leader. The rifle had a fresh clip in it and he was supposed to provide me with cover," said the 93-year-old Miller, whose voice filled with force as he shared what happened so long ago.

He says he managed to pull the wounded to safety beside "a knocked out American tank" where they waited for a break in the fighting.

"I looked around for the platoon leader and he had taken off," Miller said in disgust.

Hours later, after he had helped load the wounded onto a Jeep, he returned to his company and spotted the platoon leader.

"I was about six to eight feet away from him and I pulled out my knife," Miller said. "You can't put in the newspaper what I wanted to do to him for his cowardice."

The platoon leader, he said, ordered other soldiers to hold Miller at bay.

But with the Allies' push to take Rome, there was little time for revenge.

"We were supposed to be among the first to enter Rome," Miller said of the 179th Regiment of the Army's 45th Division.

As it turned out, Miller would be among the very first in Rome, but not as a victor. He had been serving as the point man for his platoon when he was taken prisoner.

"I had volunteered to be the point man not because I'm a hero but because it was the right thing to do. I was way ahead of the platoon," he said of how he ended up captured.

In Rome, Miller said he was interrogated by the German Gestapo, which was seeking intelligence on the Allied Forces.

"I told them I had just joined my company last night," he said. "I lied."

The trip to a German prisoner of war camp started in trucks "that drove right past the Vatican," Miller said, adding that he and fellow POWs were later packed into box cars for a train ride. The train stopped once on the way to allow them to toss out those who died from inhuman conditions – no food and very little water.

Toward the end of their journey, they were forced to march, he said.

"Every time I got near a tree, I stripped the leaves from branches and ate them," Miller said of how fierce his hunger had grown.

And the German soldiers showed no mercy, according to the stories Miller shared over the years with his family.

Douglas Miller, the veteran's son, recalled this story:

"One prisoner could not go on, so the Nazis ran him over with a tank as a lesson to the others. Other POWs attempted to escape when the guards appeared to go out of the area. However, the guards' 'disappearing' was an apparent ruse since they suddenly reappeared, mowing down the fleeing prisoners who had disregarded orders."

At the prison camp, Miller said he volunteered to work on farms because it meant receiving extra food rations. But it was hardly enough to keep the meat on his bones.

Again, Miller's son shared an insight:

"The conditions at the stalag were abominable. Body lice was on all the prisoners. Given the weakened state of the prisoners due to the poor nutrition and significant weight loss suffered, the body lice issues were a continual torment."

By the time the POW camp was liberated in spring 1945, as the war in Europe was ending, Miller said, "I'd gone from about 180 pounds to a little over 100 pounds."

Yet that did not stop him from telling his liberators in a tank unit that he wanted to return to his unit.

"They said, 'You look like crap' and that I wouldn't be able to make it past a couple miles," he said.

And so Miller was shipped back to America on a Liberty ship with approximately 300 other former POWs.

"They sat you down at a table with a half a chicken, ice cream and other food. You couldn't leave until you ate. They wanted to fatten you up before we came home. I guess we all looked like a bunch of skeletons."

He spent nine days in the Catskill Mountains in upstate New York "for relaxation," before he was assigned to Fort Dix, N.J.

"When we were there, they allowed us to pick an assignment close to our homes and I picked a hospital in Canandaigua because they couldn't get any civilian help," Miller said. "While we were there, we heard we were going to be assigned to an amphibious unit for the invasion of Japan. They needed a lot of bodies and I probably would have died."

But in August 1945, the war against Japan ended abruptly.

"I was saved when they dropped the atom bombs," he said.

Back home in Buffalo after the service, Miller said he suffered from flashbacks from the war and drank heavily to push aside the disturbing memories.

"I got a break. I went to work for Trico making windshield wipers and became a tool and die maker. You can't have flashbacks when you are concentrating on a job working with tolerances of a thousandth of an inch. No psychiatrist could have done better and by the way, there was no therapy back then," he said.

He says he caught an even bigger break when he married the former Gertrude Cohen and raised three children with her.

"I'm very fortunate. I picked the right woman. If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be alive today," Miller said. "We're still married 63 years later."


©2019 The Buffalo News (Buffalo, N.Y.). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: She Was Worried 'Nobody' Would Come To World War II Vet's Memorial Service. Hundreds Of Strangers Did

WATCH NEXT: World War II Newsreels Are The Best

A combat patrol advanced three miles north of Lucca (furthermost point occupied by American troops) to contact an enemy machine gun nest in September 1944 as part of the Italian Campaign (DoD/National Archives and Records Administration)
(AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

Moments before Army Staff Sgt. David Bellavia went back into the house, journalist Michael Ware said he was "pacing like a caged tiger ... almost like he was talking to himself."

"I distinctly remember while everybody else had taken cover temporarily, there out in the open on the street — still exposed to the fire from the roof — was David Bellavia," Ware told Task & Purpose on Monday. "David stopped pacing, he looked up and sees that the only person still there on the street is me. And I'm just standing there with my arms folded.

"He looked up from the pacing, stared straight into my eyes, and said 'Fuck it.' And I stared straight back at him and said 'Fuck it,'" Ware said. "And that's when I knew, we were both going back in that house."

Read More Show Less
(Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse)

Former Army Special Forces Maj. Matthew Golsteyn will plead not guilty to a charge of murder for allegedly shooting an unarmed Afghan man whom a tribal leader had identified as a Taliban bomb maker, his attorney said.

Golsteyn will be arraigned on Thursday morning at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, Phillip Stackhouse told Task & Purpose.

No date has been set for his trial yet, said Lt. Col. Loren Bymer, a spokesman for U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

Read More Show Less
Taran Tactical Innovations

John Wick is back, and he's here to stay. It doesn't matter how many bad guys show up to try to collect on that bounty.

With John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum, the titular hitman, played by 54-year-old Keanu Reeves, continues on a blood-soaked hyper-stylized odyssey of revenge: first for his slain dog, then his wrecked car, then his destroyed house, then ... well, honestly it's hard to keep track of exactly what Wick is avenging by this point, or the body count he's racked up in the process.

Though we do know that the franchise has raked in plenty of success at the box office: just a week after it's May 17 release, the third installment in director Chad Stahleski's series took in roughly $181 million, making it even more successful than its two wildly popular prequels 2014's John Wick, and 2017's John Wick: Chapter 2.

And, more importantly, Reeves' hitman is well on his way to becoming one of the greatest action movie heroes in recent memory. Few (if any) other action flicks have succeeded in creating a mind-blowing avant garde ballet out of a dozen well-dressed gunmen who get shot, choked, or stabbed with a pencil by a pissed off hitman who just wants to return to retirement.

But for all the over-the-top acrobatics, fight sequences, and gun-porn (see: the sommelier), what makes the series so enthralling, especially for the service members and vets in the audience, is that there are some refreshing moments of realism nestled under all of that gun fu. Wrack your brain and try to remember the last time you saw an action hero do a press check during a shootout, clear a jam, or actually, you know, reload, instead of just hip-firing 300 rounds from an M16 nonstop. It's cool, we'll wait.

As it turns out, there's a good reason for the caliber of gun-play in John Wick. One of the franchise's secret weapons is a professional three-gun shooter named Taran Butler, who told Task & Purpose he can draw and hit three targets in 0.67 seconds from 10 yards. And if you've watched any of the scores of videos he's uploaded to social media over the years, it's pretty clear that this isn't idle boasting.

Read More Show Less

The Navy's electromagnetic railgun is undergoing what officials described as "essentially a shakedown" of critical systems before finally installing a tactical demonstrator aboard a surface warship, the latest sign that the once-beleaguered supergun may actually end up seeing combat.

That pretty much means this is could be the last set of tests before actually slapping this bad boy onto a warship, for once.

Read More Show Less
(AP Photo/Denis Poroy)

The Justice Department has accused Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) of illegally using campaign funds to pay for extramarital affairs with five women.

Hunter, who fought in the Iraq War as a Marine artillery officer, and his wife Margaret were indicated by a federal jury on Aug. 21, 2018 for allegedly using up to $250,000 in campaign funds for personal use.

In a recent court filing, federal prosecutors accused Hunter of using campaign money to pay for a variety of expenses involved with his affairs, ranging from a $1,008 hotel bill to $7 for a Sam Adams beer.

Read More Show Less