The Longest Period Of No Combat Fatalities Since 9/11 Has Ended With An Insider Attack

news
Afghan National Security Forces patrol the Arghandab River Valley at sunrise as their American counterparts observe.
Petty Officer 1st Class Farrukh Daniel

116 days. The United States military went 116 consecutive days without losing a U.S. service member to enemy action. That ended April 8, 2015, when an Afghan soldier opened fire on coalition forces, killing at least one as of yet unidentified American, according to Dan Lamothe at the Washington Post.


It’s notable that this period of relative peace and stability was upended with an insider attack. U.S. strategy in Afghanistan hinges on its ability to train and equip a viable national security force within the country. That strategy has been plagued by Afghan soldiers or police members who have turned their weapons on their American counterparts, dubbed green-on-blue attacks. These attacks range in their motivations. Sometimes members of the Taliban or their sympathizers infiltrate Afghan security units. Sometimes Taliban fighters simply don military uniforms and impersonate Afghan soldiers. Lastly, some insider attacks have no connection to the Taliban at all, and are mere manifestations of tension or dispute.

Tension between U.S. and Afghan forces peaked in 2012, when 44 attacks claimed the lives of more than 60 coalition soldiers. The attacks also garnered national attention in 2014, when Maj. Gen. Harold Greene, the highest ranking American killed in action since the Vietnam War, died after an Afghan soldier opened fire on coalition leaders.

This loss of life comes just weeks after President Barack Obama halted the drawdown of U.S. forces in Afghanistan at 9,800 through at least the end of this year. In the announcement, Obama cited the need to train and equip an adequate Afghan national security force as a reason for the high American presence.

“We’re doing everything we can to help the Afghan Security Forces succeed, so we don’t have to go back, so we don’t have to respond in an emergency because terrorist activities are being launched out of Afghanistan,” the president said.

This recent violent incident could cast doubt on the stability of the situation in Afghanistan and across the western Asian region.

Three American contractors were killed and one was wounded at the hands of an Afghan soldier in a January attack purportedly orchestrated by the Taliban.

And last month, a Canadian soldier was shot and killed conducting counter-Islamic State operations in northern Iraq. The soldier, Sgt. Andrew J. Doiron, was reportedly killed by Kurdish forces who may have mistaken him for an enemy fighter.

So though the last American KIAs came in December, when Sgt. 1st Class Ramon S. Morris and Spc. Wyatt Martin were killed by an improvised explosive device, these past 116 days have been far from quiet and peaceful.

There’s turmoil in this world — there’s violence and instability — and American service members are in the thick of it.

(Glow Images via Associated Press)

Editor's Note: This article by Amy Bushatz originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A massive billing glitch in Tricare's East region, managed by Humana, on Thursday slammed about 25,000 beneficiaries with premium charges 100 times more than they owe monthly for their coverage.

Read More Show Less
A UH-60 Black Hawk departs from The Rock while conducting Medevac 101 training with members of the 386th Expeditionary Medical Group, Feb. 16, 2019. (U.S. Air Force Photo/Tech. Sgt. Robert Cloys)

A Minnesota Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter with three Guardsmen aboard crashed south of St. Cloud on Thursday, said National Guard spokeswoman Army Master Sgt. Blair Heusdens.

At this time, the National Guard is not releasing any information about the status of the three people aboard the helicopter, Heusdens told Task & Purpose on Thursday.

Read More Show Less
Members of the National Socialist Movement, one of the largest neo-Nazi groups in the US, hold a swastika burning after a rally on April 21, 2018 in Draketown, Georgia. (Getty Images/Spencer Platt)

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Former Canadian Army Reserve Master Cpl. Patrik Mathews, 26, was first identified as a member of The Base by Winnipeg Free Press reporter Ryan Thorpe.

Days after Thorpe's report was published, Mathews went missing and was discharged from the military for his alleged ties to the group. His car was found about 10 miles from the U.S. border soon thereafter, and police found a cache of weapons when they raided his home.

Vice reporters Ben Makuch, Mack Lamoureux, and Zachary Kamel, citing confidential sources, reported on Thursday that Mathews had been illegally smuggled across the border and is being hidden by members of The Base, which has operated in encrypted chatrooms as a largely online organization.

Read More Show Less

The Pentagon's latest attempt to twist itself in knots to deny that it is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East has a big caveat.

Pentagon spokeswoman Alyssa Farah said there are no plans to send that many troops to the region "at this time."

Farah's statement does not rule out the possibility that the Defense Department could initially announce a smaller deployment to the region and subsequently announce that more troops are headed downrange.

Read More Show Less

The Navy could send a second aircraft carrier to the Middle East if President Donald Trump orders a surge of forces to the region, Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said on Thursday.

Gordon Lubold and Nancy Youssef of the Wall Street Journal first reported the United States is considering sending up to 14,000 troops to the Middle East to deter Iran from attacking U.S. forces and regional allies. The surge forces could include several ships.

Read More Show Less