The Pentagon Doesn't Seem To Have A Clue What Trump And Putin's 'Security Agreement' Is

Code Red News
Kremlin

Russia's Ministry of Defense has said it's ready to pursue an "international security" agreement that was discussed between Russian President Vladimir Putin and U.S. President Donald Trump, but so far the Pentagon doesn't seem to have a clue of what that means.


A Defense Department spokesman told me "we don't currently have anything" when asked about Russian Maj. Gen. Igor Konsashenkov’s declaration Wednesday that there were "agreements reached between Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump in the sphere of international security achieved at the Helsinki summit."

Related: Trump Proposed A ‘Space Force’ That His Generals Definitely Don’t Want »

What agreements? What “sphere of international security”? DoD doesn't seem to know, won't say, or more than likely, is waiting on the White House to tell them what is going on — something the Pentagon has already had to do with transgender policy, joint exercises with South Korea, the "Space Force," and parades.

Related: Trump: War Games In South Korea Cancelled. Pentagon: WTF? »

A Pentagon spokesperson gave the same answer to Defense One on Wednesday. But a National Security Council spokesperson told Defense One the Helsinki summit was the "beginning of a process" between both countries "to reduce tensions and advance areas of cooperation in our mutual interest." Still pretty vague, to say the least.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Related: Trump Never Consulted The Military’s Top Officer Before Banning Transgender Troops »

For now, all we seem to have is Moscow's side of the story regarding the summit. Anatoly Antonov, Russia's ambassador to the U.S., said Putin and Trump reached "important verbal agreements" that included preservation of the New START and INF arms control treaties. He also added that Putin made "specific and interesting proposals" on how Russia and the U.S. could cooperate in Syria — where both countries have fought via proxies amid the seven-year-old civil war.

Related: The Pentagon Doesn’t Seem Excited For Trump’s Military Parade »

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is reportedly "open to the possibility" of talking with his Russian counterpart, according to Reuters.

Staff Sgt. Stevon A. Booker, a 3rd Infantry Division Soldier who was assigned to Company A, 1st Battalion, 64th Armor Regiment and killed in action in Iraq in 2003, is depicted in a photo illustration alongside the Distinguished Service Cross medal, which he is slated to posthumously receive for his heroic actions during Operation Iraqi Freedom, April 5, 2018, in Pittsburgh, Pa. (U.S. Army)

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared onMilitary.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Army has announced it will upgrade a former 3rd Infantry Division soldier's Silver Star to a Distinguished Service Cross for his bravery during the unit's "Thunder Run" attack on Baghdad, Iraq, in 2003.

Read More Show Less
KCNA

HANOI (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un told the U.S. secretary of state he did not want his children to live with the burden of nuclear weapons, a former CIA officer involved in high-level diplomacy over the North's weapons was quoted as saying on Saturday.

Read More Show Less

An Oregon Air National Guard F-15C Eagle that made an emergency landing on Wednesday ditched its entire arsenal of live air-to-air missiles before touching down at Portland International Airport, The War Zone reports.

Read More Show Less

Several hundred U.S. troops will remain in Syria after allied forces clear ISIS fighters out of their last stronghold in the country, officials said on Friday.

President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.

Read More Show Less
Chris Osman (Photo: _chris_osman_designs/Instagram)

The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.

"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."

Read More Show Less