There’s A Very Good Chance Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi Is Finally Dead

news
Screengrab via YouTube

The London-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says it has confirmed that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the notorious leader of ISIS who assumed command of the terrorist organization in 2010 and whose name has become synonymous with the group’s brand of ultra-violent global jihadism, is dead at last, Reuters reports.


As Reuters notes, SOHR has a solid track record of accurate reporting from within Syria, where a six-year civil war with constantly shifting battle lines has remained largely inaccessible to foreign journalists. The report comes nearly a month after the Russian Defense Ministry claimed that al-Baghdadi had been killed by a Russian airstrike in May, which had targeted a gathering of ISIS commanders on the outskirts of Raqqa.

In an interview with CBS, Rahman said that his organization’s sources “could not say when Baghdadi died, or whether he succumbed to injuries sustained in an attack.” This wouldn’t be the first time that Baghdadi’s death has been announced, but never before has such a report come from a group as credible as SOHR. Baghdadi hasn’t been heard from since November 2016, when he released an audio message urging followers to defend Mosul, according to CBS.

Washington did not corroborate Russia’s claim, nor has it has confirmed SOHR’s report — which the organization’s director, Rami Abdel Rahman, told Reuters is based on “confirmed information from leaders, including one of the first rank, in the Islamic State in the eastern countryside of Deir al-Zor.” However, in an email to Stars and Stripes reporter Chad Garland, a spokesperson for Operation Inherent Resolve seemed to suggest that ISIS leadership is in the midst of some sort of crisis.

“We cannot confirm this report, but hope it’s true,” the email reads. “We strongly [advise] ISIS to implement a strong line of succession, it will be needed.”

There have certainly been plenty of opportunities in recent weeks for al-Baghdadi to be wounded or killed on the battlefields of Iraq and Syria. Huge swaths of those countries fell to ISIS when the Sunni Muslim extremist group, born from the ashes of the U.S.-led Iraq War, swept through the region in 2014 in a lightning offensive that dealt an embarrassing blow to the Iraqi military and plunged neighboring Syria deeper into chaos. Now, amid constant bombardments from the U.S.-led coalition and its allies, the group’s territory is quickly shrinking.  

On July 10, the U.S. military and Iraqi security forces declared victory over ISIS after a bloody eight-month siege of Mosul, where Baghdadi first claimed to lead a caliphate in 2014. Meanwhile, coalition-backed militants continue their assault on Raqqa, ISIS’s de facto capital in northern Syria and its last major stronghold.

According to CBS, many experts predict that if and when Raqqa falls, ISIS will transform into a more “traditional insurgency,” one that lacks significant territory but continues to carry out terrorist attacks in the region and abroad. What role the U.S. and the other foreign powers who have poured countless resources into defeating ISIS will play following the seizure of Raqqa remains unclear.

WATCH NOW:

(U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland)

GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.

Read More Show Less
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less