This WWII Soldier Hid In A Philippine Jungle For 30 Years

Photo via Wikimedia Commons

World War II had been over for nearly three decades by the time Hiroo Onoda stopped fighting.

An intelligence officer, Onoda was sent to the island of Lubang — a Philippine island south of Manila — to conduct guerilla warfare with three other soldiers in 1944.

At the behest of his commanding officers, Maj. Yoshimi Taniguchi and Gen. General Tomoyuki Yamashita, Onoda took his soldiers into the jungle. He would stay there until 1974. His original orders were to continue leading Pvt. Yūichi Akatsu, Cpl. Shōichi Shimada, and Pvt. 1st Class Kinshichi Kozuka for as long as it took Japan to win the war.

According to The New York Times, one of the last orders Onoda received was on Feb. 28, 1945, from Maj. Yoshimi Taniguchi, who told him stand and fight. “It may take three years, it may take five, but whatever happens we’ll come back for you,” the major said.

After nearly a year in the jungle, the first news of surrender came by way of local islanders who left behind a leaflet that read, “The war ended on August 15. Come down from the mountains,” according to “Military's Strangest Campaigns & Characters" by Tom Quinn.

Related: Read about the jolt of electricity that forever altered war.

Onoda ignored this, believing it to be illegitimate.

More official leaflets were airdropped toward the end of 1945. Though they were signed by Yamashita, Onoda and his soldiers believed them to be forged propaganda intended to draw them away from their mission.

In September 1949, Akatsu left the group. He then surrendered to Filipino troops in 1950.

Onoda, Kozuka, and Shimada’s families sent pleas assuring that the war was over in 1952, but the three continued to believe this was a trick.

As a result, they continued to fire at local police and potential rescuers, who were forced to fire back. These shootouts led to the deaths of Shimada in 1954, and Kozuka in 1972.

Onoda then spent two years alone before he was found by Norio Suzuki.

A college dropout traveling the world, Suzuki went looking for Onoda and found him after four days of searching.

Despite his ability to curry friendship with Onoda, Suzuki was not able to convince him to leave his post. Onoda said he was waiting on orders.

Finally, on Mar. 9, 1974, Yamashita — now a book seller — flew to Lubang to coax Onoda out of the jungle.

When he surrendered, he turned over 500 rounds of ammunition, his sword, his rifle, and a dagger that his mother had given him to end his life in case of capture.

He was pardoned by then-president Ferdinand Marcos for the deaths of locals and police, due to the fact that he still believed Japan was at war.

Onoda was greeted by his family and the rest of the nation as a hero.

He then went on to pen a book titled, “No Surrender: My Thirty-Year War.”

Of his will to survive, Onoda told the Australian Broadcasting Company in 2010, “Every Japanese soldier was prepared for death, but as an intelligence officer I was ordered to conduct guerrilla warfare and not to die. I had to follow my orders as I was a soldier.”

Having spent three decades in the jungle, Onoda was not prepared for all the progress his country had made. Where there were once farms and villages, instead stood cities and skyscrapers.

Seeking simplicity, he then moved to a Japanese community in Brazil and was married. However, he returned to Japan to open a school in 1984, calling it the Onoda Nature School.

He died in January 2014 from complications from pneumonia. He was 91 years old.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs paid $13,000 over a three-month period for a senior official's biweekly commute to Washington from his home in California, according to expense reports obtained by ProPublica.

Read More Show Less
Saturday Night Live/screenshot

President Donald Trump said that "retribution" should be "looked into" after this week's opening skit of Saturday Night Live featured Alec Baldwin being mean to him again.

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. John Eller conducts pre-flights check on his C-17 Globemaster III Jan. 3 prior to taking off from Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii for a local area training mission. Sgt. Eller is a loadmaster from the 535th Airlift Squadron. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Shane A. Cuomo)

CUCUTA, Colombia — The Trump administration ratcheted up pressure Saturday on beleaguered Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, dispatching U.S. military planes filled with humanitarian aid to this city on the Venezuelan border.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan speaks at the annual Munich Security Conference in Munich, Germany February 15, 2019. REUTERS/Andreas Gebert

ABOARD A U.S. MILITARY AIRCRAFT (Reuters) - Acting U.S. Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said on Saturday he had not yet determined whether a border wall with Mexico was a military necessity or how much Pentagon money would be used.

President Donald Trump on Friday declared a national emergency in a bid to fund his promised wall at the U.S.-Mexico border without congressional approval.

Read More Show Less
A pair of U.S. Navy Grumman F-14A Tomcat aircraft from Fighter Squadron VF-211 Fighting Checkmates in flight over Iraq in 2003/Department of Defense

Since the sequel to the 1986 action flick (and wildly successful Navy recruitment tool) Top Gun, was announced, there's been a lot of speculation on what Top Gun: Maverick will be about when it premieres in June 2020. While the plot is still relatively unclear, we know Tom Cruise will reprise his role as Naval aviator Pete "Maverick" Mitchell, and he'll be joined by a recognizable costar: The iconic F-14 Tomcat.

It looks like the old war plane will be coming out of retirement for more than just a cameo. A number of recently surfaced photos show an F-14 Tomcat aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, alongside Cruise and members of the film's production crew, the Drive's Tyler Rogoway first reported earlier this week.

Read More Show Less