To Keep VA Hospitals Open, Congress Approves Transfer Of Funds From Choice Card Program

news
AP photo by Mark Thiessen

The Department of Veterans Affairs will receive the budget reallocation it needs to avoid facility shutdowns after the Senate’s last-minute deal was passed on Thursday. This comes a week after Secretary Bob McDonald spoke with Congress on Capitol Hill and warned that tens of thousands of veterans would have their health care disrupted if the budget wasn’t fixed.


The measure allows the VA to use roughly $3.3 billion in funds assigned to the new Choice Card Program to cover other areas, something that Congress has been resistant to agree to for the last year. In addition, the language will be changed so that all outside care efforts fall under a single “Veterans Choice Program,” in order to limit bureaucracy and allow for greater flexibility. The agreement also requires the VA to submit biweekly reports to Congress on how the transferred funds are being spent.

“We’re in this situation, quite frankly, because of gross ineptitude in planning that can only be characterized as malpractice in management,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal, of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee. “Congress cannot be expected to continue to bail out VA because of mismanagement.”

Casperassets.rbl.ms

Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Karl Munson pilots a 26-foot boat while Petty Officer 2nd Class Gabriel Diaz keeps an eye on a boarding team who is inspecting a 79-foot shrimp boat in the Gulf of Mexico, off the coast of New Orleans, La., on April 27, 2005

Radio transmissions to the U.S. Coast Guard are usually calls for help from boaters, but one captain got on the radio recently just to say thanks to the men and women who are currently working without pay.

Read More Show Less
REUTERS/Carlos Barria

DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump traveled to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Saturday to receive the remains of four Americans killed in a suicide bombing in northern Syria.

Trump, locked in a battle with congressional Democrats that has led to a nearly month-long partial government shutdown, announced his trip via a pre-dawn tweet, saying he was going "to be with the families of 4 very special people who lost their lives in service to our Country!"

Read More Show Less

A low-flying C-17 gave Nashville residents a fright on Friday when the aircraft made several unannounced passes over the city's bustling downtown.

Read More Show Less
George W. Bush/Instagram

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.

In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.

Read More Show Less