FBI: No Evidence So Far That Burning Wreck At Travis Air Force Base Was A Terrorist Attack

news
Courtesy of Air Force amn.nco/snco Facebook group.

It is too early to tell if a fiery car crash at Travis Air Force Base’s main gate on March 21 was an act of terrorism, an FBI official told reporters on Friday.


Investigators have identified the driver of a KIA minivan, which burst into flames as it approached the gate and then crashed after it passed through, as 51-year-old Hafiz Kazi. A legal immigrant from India, Kazi has lived in the United States since 1993, said Sean Ragan, special agent in charge of the FBI’s Sacramento field office.

Kazi was found dead inside the burned-out vehicle along with five propane tanks, three one-gallon containers of gasoline, several lighters and three phones, Ragan told reporters during a news conference. His van was already on fire as it approached the base.

First responders were unable to remove Kazi from the burning van because the doors were locked, Ragan said. Investigators do not know yet how Kazi died or why he was driving to the base with so many flammable materials.

Although CBS News initially reported that the incident is being treated as a possible terrorist attack, Ragan said investigators have not found any links between Kazi and any foreign terrorist groups, adding, “That’s something that we will, obviously, investigate.”

“Before an investigation is done, we can’t determine why exactly he had those propane tanks in there; why he was on fire; what his intentions were, so to speak,” Ragan explained.

Kazi had worked as a taxi driver in the past but it was not immediately clear if he was employed at the time of his death, Ragan said. Investigators have not found any connections between Kazi and the base.

The Solano County Sheriff's Office coroner is conducting an autopsy to determine how Kazi died, Ragan said.

“The investigation that we’re doing right now is trying to piece together his life, trying to piece together what led up to this event and attempt to determine why he was there and why he had those items in his vehicle,” Ragan said. “As of right now, we know of no other associates that were associated with this incident. We know of no threats to the air base.”

WATCH NEXT:

Several hundred U.S. troops will remain in Syria after allied forces clear ISIS fighters out of their last stronghold in the country, a senior administration official told Task & Purpose on Friday.

President Donald Trump announced in December that he would withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, but Sen. Lindsey Graham has since made a strong push to keep a small residual force along the Turkish border along with troops from European allies.

Read More Show Less
Chris Osman (Photo: _chris_osman_designs/Instagram)

The former Navy SEAL among a group of eight men arrested earlier this week in Port-au-Prince on weapons charges says he was providing security work "for people who are directly connected to the current President" of Haiti.

"We were being used as pawns in a public fight between him and the current Prime Minister of Haiti," said Chris Osman, 44, in a post on Instagram Friday. "We were not released we were in fact rescued."

Read More Show Less
Former Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis (DoD photo)

A Richland, Washington city councilman thinks native son Jim Mattis would make a terrific governor or even president.

Read More Show Less

It's a photo for the ages: a Marine NCO, a Greek god in his dress blues, catches the eye of a lovely young woman as her boyfriend urges her on in distress. It's the photographic ancestor of the much-loved "distracted boyfriend" stock photo meme, made even sweeter by the fact that this is clearly a sailor about to lose his girl to a Devil Dog.

Well, this photo and the Marine in it, which hopscotched around Marine Corps Facebook and Instagram pages before skyrocketing to the front page of Reddit on Thursday, are very real.

The photo shows then-Staff Sgt. Louis A. Capozzoli — and he is absolutely not on his way to steal your girl.

Read More Show Less

MAPLE, N.C. -- A maritime center with a pool big enough to hold a small ship and simulate hurricane conditions is set to open in Currituck County, North Carolina, in two years. It will serve to train groups such as special forces, law enforcement and offshore wind crews.

It could be the first of its kind in the world.

Read More Show Less