Trump Reportedly Wants To Fire The Air Force Secretary For Slow-Rolling His Space Force Idea

Bullet Points
U.S. Air Force photo / Staff Sgt. Rusty Frank.

President Trump is considering replacing Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson after next month’s midterm elections because he does not feel she is moving quickly enough to establish a Space Force as an independent military branch, Foreign Policy reported on Thursday.


  • The White House was not satisfied with the Air Force’s initial draft plan for Space Force this summer, and it was even more put off after Wilson sent a memo to Deputy Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan estimating that Space Force would cost $13 billion over its first five years, Foreign Policy's Lara Seligman reported.
  • Chief Pentagon Spokesperson Dana White issued a strong denial of the story on Thursday. “This is nonsense,” she said in a statement to task & Purpose. “The Department of Defense leadership team is focused on defending our great nation and working together to be worthy of the blood, treasure and faith entrusted to us by the American people.”
  • An Air Force spokeswoman referred questions about the Foreign Policy story to the White House, which did not respond to requests for comment from Task & Purpose by deadline.
  • Media outlets have speculated recently that Trump would also replace Defense Secretary James Mattis after the midterm elections, but so far Mattis has dismissed the reporting as rumors. The defense secretary has also said his relationship with Trump is good.
  • “Of course I don’t think about leaving,” Mattis told reporters on Sept. 18. “I love it here. I’m thinking about retiring right here. I’ll get a little place down on the Potomac.”

WATCH NEXT:

UPDATE: This story was updated at 8:45 a.m. on Oct. 5 to include a statement from Pentagon Chief Spokesperson Dana White.

(U.S. Attorney's Office in Maryland)

GREENBELT, Md. (Reuters) - A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant accused of amassing a cache of weapons and plotting to attack Democratic politicians and journalists was ordered held for two weeks on Thursday while federal prosecutors consider charging him with more crimes.

Read More Show Less
An undated image of Hoda Muthana provided by her attorney, Hassan Shibly. (Associated Press)

Attorneys for the Constitutional Law Center for Muslims in America have filed a lawsuit against Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Attorney General William Barr and President Donald Trump asking the court to recognize the citizenship of an Alabama woman who left the U.S. to join ISIS and allow she and her young son to return to the United States.

Read More Show Less
U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less