Trump Attempts To Set Record Straight On Veteran Fundraising

news
(AP photo by Richard Drew

On May 31, presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump held a press conference at Trump Tower in Manhattan to set the record straight about his fundraising efforts for veterans.


“The press should be ashamed of themselves ... on behalf of the veterans, the press should be ashamed of themselves,” he said.

Several weeks ago, a number of outlets reported that Donald Trump’s veterans fundraiser, which was held in lieu of his attendance at a Republican debate on Jan. 28, did not raise as much as his campaign promised: $6 million.

The number dropped from $6 million to $4.5 million, to $3.1 million, according to calculations done by The Washington Post. In addition, Trump claimed he had personally contributed $1 million to make up for the deficit. On May 24, The Washington Post wrote a follow up stating that after four months scrutiny, Trump had finally made his $1 million pledge.

Trump clarified the total during Tuesday’s press conference, saying, “As of this moment, it's $5.6 million.”

He added that the final figure could top $6 million once all the donations are in. Trump's campaign released a list of 41 charities that received funds ranging from $50,000 to $1.1 million. 

Further, three veterans groups confirmed donations from the Trump Foundation: The Bob Woodruff Foundation, the Boston Wounded Vets Run, and The Racing For Heroes Foundation.

Throughout the presser, Trump railed against the media, adding that reporters are "the most dishonest people I've ever met.”

Trump, despite the fundraising miscalculations, is the only candidate still in the running to personally donate money to veterans charities while campaigning. On the other hand, Democratic candidates Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders have offered up plans to address veterans issues through implementation of new policies.

Watch the press conference here.

A recently leaked video sheds light on one of the F-35's possible weapons configurations, previously dubbed as "beast mode" in a Lockheed Martin infographic.

Read More Show Less

The Defense Department has identified two U.S. service members and a Defense Department civilian, who were killed by an ISIS suicide bomber Wednesday in Manbij, Syria. A Defense Department contractor was also killed in the blast.

Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 Jonathan R. Farmer, Navy Chief Cryptologic Technician (Interpretive) Shannon M. Kent, and Defense Department civilian Scott A. Wirtz were killed, a Pentagon news release says.

Read More Show Less

Navy SEAL Lt. Jacob "Jake" Portier will be arraigned Tuesday in San Diego for allegedly failing to report war crimes committed by a fellow SEAL and other related offenses.

Read More Show Less

President Donald Trump hit back at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday with a letter saying he was "sorry to inform" her that her trip to Brussels, Belgium and Afghanistan would be canceled due to the government shutdown, just one day after Pelosi proposed cancelling the State of the Union address for similar reasons.

Read More Show Less