Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Judge rules Trump declaring a national emergency for border wall funding violates federal law
EL PASO — A federal judge ruled Friday that President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency at the border violates federal law.
The emergency declaration underpinned the administration's planned transfer of $6.1 billion dollars in Department of Defense funding for counter-narcotics operations and military construction projects to pay instead for a border wall.
The plaintiffs, El Paso County and Border Network for Human Rights, asked for an injunction to prevent the administration from using the diverted funds to build a border wall, and U.S. District Judge David Briones asked for an additional briefing.
Briones said in his ruling he would reserve judgment on an injunction for a later date.
The judge said the emergency declaration is unlawful because it violates the Consolidated Appropriations Act, which underpins the right of Congress to determine how federal funds are spent.
"The court declared that the president's proclamation is invalid because it illegally sought to override Congress's decision to not fund further border wall construction," according to Protect Democracy, whose attorneys argued the case for El Paso County and the Border Network for Human Rights.
Kristy Parker, a Protect Democracy attorney who served as pro bono counsel to the county and Border Network said the ruling "confirms that the president is not a king, and that he cannot override Congress's power to decide how to appropriate funds."
Currently, 46 miles of border wall are under construction in Border Patrol's El Paso sector, in New Mexico, using funds transferred from DOD's counternarcotics program.
Lauren Villagran covers the border and can be reached at email@example.com.
©2019 the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas)
Visit the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas) at www.elpasotimes.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
U.S. Army aviation officials have launched an effort to restore full air assault capability to the 101st Airborne Division — a capability the Screaming Eagles have been without since 2015.
The U.S. military's withdrawal from northeast Syria is looking more like Dunkirk every day.
On Wednesday, the U.S. military had to call in an airstrike on one of its own ammunition dumps in northern Syria because the cargo trucks required to safely remove the ammo are needed elsewhere to support the withdrawal, Task & Purpose has learned.
President Donald Trump belittled his former defense secretary, James Mattis, by characterizing him as the "world's most overrated general," according to a Washington Post report published Wednesday.
The account from numerous officials came during an afternoon closed door meeting with congressional leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House on Wednesday. In the meeting, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer reportedly brought up dissenting views towards the president's decision to withdraw the vast majority of roughly 1,000 U.S. troops stationed in Syria.
Retired two-star Navy. Adm. Joe Sestak is the highest ranking — and perhaps, least known — veteran who is trying to clinch the Democratic nomination for president in 2020.
Sestak has decades of military experience, but he is not getting nearly as much media attention as fellow veterans Pete Buttigieg and Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii). Another veteran, Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.) has dropped out of the race.
After preliminary fitness test scores leaked in September, many have voiced concerns about how women would fare in the new Army Combat Fitness Test.
The scores — which accounted for 11 of the 63 battalions that the ACFT was tested on last year — showed an overall failure rate of 84% for women, and a 70% pass rate for men.
But Army leaders aren't concerned about this in the slightest.