Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Trump Boosts Defense Budget Request For Missile Defense, Ship Repairs And Expanding Afghan War Strategy
President Donald Trump has boosted his defense budget request, asking for Congress to consider more money for missile defense, repairs for Navy ships and resources to fund an expanded war strategy in South Asia.
Trump on Nov. 6 asked to amend an earlier 2018 defense budget request by allocating an additional $4 billion for missile defense, $1.2 billion for the administration’s new Afghanistan effort and another $700 million for Navy ship repairs.
The new missile defense funding will address an increasing threat from North Korea, Trump said.
“This request supports additional efforts to detect, defeat, and defend against any North Korean use of ballistic missiles against the United States, its deployed forces, allies, or partners,” Trump said in the amendment request, which came in the form of a letter sent late Monday to House Speaker Paul Ryan, Republica from Wisconsin.
Earlier this year, Trump proposed a defense budget of $668 billion, a 5 percent increase above last year’s spending plan. But in light of a military readiness crisis, ongoing safety concerns, and an expanding war strategy, some congressional defense hawks have said the president's plan didn’t go far enough.
On Nov. 6, the chairmen of the House and Senate Armed Services committees said the timing of Trump’s letter means the proposals can be incorporated into ongoing negotiation talks for the defense bill, called the National Defense Authorization Act.
“We welcome the president’s amendment to his initial defense budget request and look forward to giving it the serious consideration it deserves,” Sen. John McCain, Republican from Arizona, and Rep. Mac Thornberry, Republican from Texas, said in a joint statement. “The additional request would provide resources to support our renewed efforts in Afghanistan and much-needed funding to repair the Navy ships damaged in recent collisions at sea.”
In July, the House approved a $696 billion defense budget, while the Senate approved a nearly $700 billion plan in September. Either would require congressional action to exceed current budget caps that limit defense spending to $549 billion for the 2018 fiscal year.
Both plans went further than the original Trump request. For example, the Senate bill allocates $8.5 billion for missile defense, which was $630 million more than what was originally requested by the Trump administration.
“The House and Senate Armed Services committees have already authorized many of these missile defense programs in our respective defense bills,” McCain and Thornberry said.
Trump’s letter also addressed the costly and extensive damage seen in separate deadly crashes involving the USS John S. McCain and the USS Fitzgerald during the summer.
“The request also includes the costs necessary to repair damage to and restore the operational readiness of the USS John S. McCain and the USS Fitzgerald,” Trump said. “These ships provide critical naval presence and additional ballistic missile defense capabilities in the Asia-Pacific theater.”
Trump said the requests for missile defense and Navy ship repairs should be considered emergency funding. The South Asia plan, he said, can be paid for with money from the separate Overseas Contingency Operations fund, which isn’t subject to budget cap requirements.
Separately, Trump said the $1.2 billion for his South Asia strategy will address the increase in troops needed in Afghanistan. Trump unveiled his plans to boost U.S. forces there earlier this year.
Initially, Trump had declined to discuss more troops for Afghanistan, but Pentagon officials have since said the plans would increase the number of servicemembers there by at least 3,500.
Trump confirmed that figure on Nov. 6.
“The additional resources would enable [the Defense Department] to deploy an additional 3,500 troops, and includes funding for urgent needs and special operations forces capabilities,” he said.
The same letter also said Congress needed to look at his border wall request, which at $1.6 billion would be a down payment for the effort, Trump said.
For now, McCain and Thornberry said they were pleased they could consider Trump’s plan to increase defense spending.
“The timely submission of this budget amendment means that the NDAA conferees will be able to consider this request in time to incorporate the additional funding into the final agreement,” they said.
©2017 the Stars and Stripes. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
Editor's Note: The following story highlights a veteran at Iron Mountain. Committed to including talented members of the military community in its workplace, Iron Mountain is a client of Hirepurpose, a Task & Purpose sister company. Learn more here.
Jackie Melendrez couldn't be prouder of her husband, her sons, and the fact that she works for the trucking company Iron Mountain. This regional router has been a Mountaineer since 2017, and says the support she receives as a military spouse and mother is unparalleled.
Master Sgt. Larry Hawks, a retired engineer sergeant who served with 3rd Special Forces Group, is being awarded the Distinguished Service Cross on Friday for "valorous actions" in Afghanistan in 2005.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 40-foot-tall (12 meters) cross-shaped war memorial standing on public land in Maryland does not constitute government endorsement of religion, the Supreme Court ruled on Thursday in a decision that leaves unanswered questions about the boundaries of the U.S. Constitution's separation of church and state.
The justices were divided on many of the legal issues but the vote was 7-2 to overturn a lower court ruling that had declared the so-called Peace Cross in Bladensburg unconstitutional in a legal challenge mounted by the American Humanist Association, a group that advocates for secular governance. The concrete cross was erected in 1925 as a memorial to troops killed in World War One.
The ruling made it clear that a long-standing monument in the shape of a Christian cross on public land was permissible but the justices were divided over whether other types of religious displays and symbols on government property would be allowed. Those issues are likely to come before the court in future cases.
A relative of the man who opened fire outside downtown Dallas' federal building this week warned the FBI in 2016 that he shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun because he was depressed and suicidal, his mother said Thursday.
Brian Clyde's half-brother called the FBI about his concerns, their mother Nubia Brede Solis said. Clyde was in the Army at the time.
On Monday, Clyde opened fire with an AR-15-style rifle at the Earle Cabell Federal Building. He was fatally shot by federal law enforcement. No one else was seriously injured. His family believes Clyde wanted to be killed.