Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Trump Told Philippines’ Duterte The Navy Has 2 ‘Nuclear Submarines’ Near North Korea
President Donald Trump told Phillipine President Rodrigo Duterte in a phone call last month that two nuclear submarines were somewhere in the waters near North Korea.
"We have a lot of firepower over there," Trump said of the Korean Peninsula, according to a transcript of the call obtained by the New York Times and verified by White House officials.
"We have two submarines — the best in the world," Trump said, according to The Times. "We have two nuclear submarines, not that we want to use them at all."
Business Insider previously reported that the nuclear-powered USS Michigan submarine would head to North Korea's coast, joining the USS Carl Vinson carrier strike group. The Michigan does not carry nuclear weapons, but it does carry Tomahawk missiles — the same type used in the April 7 strike on a Syrian air base. It also carries special forces, and South Korean media has reported that Navy SEALs are in the region and may be training to take out North Korea's leadership.
All U.S. submarines are nuclear-powered, though at any time, four or five of those submarines are nuclear-armed and on "hard alert, in their patrol areas, awaiting orders for launch," Stephen Schwartz, the author of "Atomic Audit: The Costs and Consequences of US Nuclear Weapons Since 1940," told Business Insider.
It is unclear whether Trump was referring to the USS Michigan or the USS Cheyenne, another nuclear-powered, but not nuclear-armed submarine in the region, or if he was referring to another submarine that is armed with nuclear weapons. The locations of nuclear-armed submarines have to remain a secret to even the highest commanders in the U.S. military.
However, even if Trump was discussing nuclear-armed submarines, it is highly unlikely his disclosure was inappropriate because he did not appear to give specifics.
Nuclear-armed submarines make up the most secretive part of the U.S.'s nuclear deterrent. Essentially, even if an attacker could somehow neutralize all the U.S.'s nuclear weapons on land, they'd be unable to find the submarines. As a matter of national security, only the captains and crew of the submarines know for sure where they're located.
"In fact, we don't even know where they are — they run silent," Schwartz said.
More from Business Insider:
- Kim Jong Un's brother reportedly met with a US agent before his murder — and it could have been a coup
- South Korea requires all males to serve in the military — here's what it's like
- DARPA just announced it's one step closer to building a hypersonic space plane
- ISIS militants aren't operating 'alone' anymore — and there are no easy answers to defeating an online community of terrorists
- Deadly violence continues to climb in Mexico, where an ascendant cartel is strengthening its grip on power
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — As many as 380 Americans on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked in Japan – which has nearly 300 passengers who have tested positive for the deadly coronavirus, now known as COVID-19 – will be extracted Sunday from Yokohama and flown to Travis Air Force Base near Fairfield and a Texas base for further quarantine.
The Army wants more soldiers, and it's using esports to put a 'finger on the pulse' of potential recruits
Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.
After whiffing on its recruiting goal in 2018, the Army has been trying new approaches to bring in the soldiers it needs to reach its goal of 500,000 in active-duty service by the end of the 2020s.
The 6,500-soldier shortfall the service reported in September 2018 was its first recruiting miss since 2005 and came despite it putting $200 million into bonuses and issuing extra waivers for health issues or bad conduct.
Within a few months of that disappointment, the Army announced it was seeking soldiers for an esports team that would, it said, "build awareness of skills that can be used as professional soldiers and use [its] gaming knowledge to be more relatable to youth."
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A New Mexico Army National Guard soldier from Mountainair, who served as a police officer and volunteer firefighter in the town, died Thursday from a non-combat related incident while deployed in Africa, according to the Department of Defense.
A news release states Pfc. Walter Lewark, 26, died at Camp Lemonnier, Djibouti where he was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in the Horn of Africa.
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon is requesting about as much money for overseas operations in the coming fiscal year as in this one, but there is at least one noteworthy new twist: the first-ever Space Force request for war funds.
Officials say the $77 million request is needed by Oct. 1 not for space warfare but to enable military personnel to keep operating and protecting key satellites.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors on Thursday accused Huawei of stealing trade secrets and helping Iran track protesters in its latest indictment against the Chinese company, escalating the U.S. battle with the world's largest telecommunications equipment maker.
In the indictment, which supersedes one unsealed last year in federal court in Brooklyn, New York, Huawei Technologies Co was charged with conspiring to steal trade secrets from six U.S. technology companies and to violate a racketeering law typically used to combat organized crime.