Trump is sure Kim Jong Un 'does not want to disappoint his friend, President Trump!' despite 3 missile tests in a week

news
(KCNA/Reuters/Task & Purpose photo illustration)

WASHINGTON/SEOUL (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump sought again on Friday to play down North Korea's three tests in eight days of short-range missiles, saying they did not break any agreement he had with Kim Jong Un and he was sure the North Korean leader did not want to disappoint him.

In an apparent reference to Kim's pledge not to resume testing of intercontinental ballistic missiles and nuclear bombs frozen since 2017, Trump said on Twitter: "Chairman Kim does not want to disappoint me with a violation of trust."


"There is far too much for North Korea to gain - the potential as a Country, under Kim Jong Un's leadership, is unlimited. Also, there is far too much to lose," said Trump, who has taken to flattering Kim while also maintaining tough sanctions on the totalitarian country.

Stressing the personal rapport he says he has built with Kim in three meetings since June last year, Trump said: "He will do the right thing because he is far too smart not to, and he does not want to disappoint his friend, President Trump!"

Despite Trump's words, North Korea has embarrassed the U.S. president by testing the missiles even though Kim and Trump agreed at a June 30 meeting to revive stalled denuclearization talks.

The talks have yet to resume, and policy analysts believe the tests are designed both to improve North Koreanmilitary capabilities and to pressure the United States to offer more concessions.

A summit between Trump and Kim in Vietnam in February collapsed after the two sides failed to reconcile differences between U.S. demands for North Korea's complete denuclearization and Pyongyang's demands for relief from punishing sanctions.

Trump said on Friday that the short-range tests "may be a United Nations violation," but he and Kim had never discussed such missiles.

North Korean short-range missiles do not pose a threat to U.S. territory, but they do put at risk U.S. allies Japan and South Korea and the tens of thousands of U.S. troops stationed there.

Testing of such missiles is covered by a 2006 United Nations Security Council resolution demanding that North Korea suspend all activities related to its ballistic missile program.

Hope for talks

U.S. officials are still hoping to revive talks with North Korea. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, in Bangkok for regional meetings, said on Friday that while the diplomatic process might have some bumps, conversations with North Korea were "going on even as we speak."

A senior State Department official briefing reporters called the North Korean launches "provocations," but said such acts had always been part of Pyongyang's negotiating playbook.=

"We're expecting in the not too distant future, we'll be back in a sustained negotiating process," the official said. He said no time or place had been set for new talks.

The official also appeared to warn against larger North Korean tests, saying: "There are provocations that would potentially result in a more consequential response from the rest of the countries in the world."

Another U.S. official, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said that in the latest tests, North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles and described them as KN-23s, the same type launched in the two previous tests since July 25.

They flew 220 km (135 miles) and reached an altitude of 25 km (15 miles), South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said.

North Korean state media has described the weapons as a new large-caliber, multiple-launch guided rocket system and said Kim oversaw the previous launch on Wednesday.

North Korean demands

Kim's government was assiduously improving military capabilities as well as signaling negotiating demands, said Leif-Eric Easley, an international relations expert at Seoul's Ewha University.

"The aim is not only to increase Pyongyang's ability to coerce its neighbors, another goal is to normalize North Korea's sanctions-violating tests as if they were as legitimate as South Korea's defensive exercises."

North Korea has demanded that the United States and South Korea call off joint military exercises planned for this month, saying they would violate a pledge by Trump to Kim.

Pyongyang has also warned of a possible end to its freeze on nuclear and long-range missile tests, which Trump has repeatedly held up as evidence of successful engagement with Kim, despite the setbacks.

Some policy analysts believe Kim will have been emboldened to press more aggressively for U.S. concessions given Trump's apparent eagerness to hold up his North Korea policy as a success in his 2020 re-election bid.Pompeo said U.N. sanctions on North Korea remained fully in place.

He said he was disappointed his North Korean counterpart had canceled a planned trip to the Bangkok meetings.

"I think it would've given us an opportunity to have another set of conversations," Pompeo said. "I hope it won't be too long before I have a chance to do that."

Andrei Lankov, director of Korea Risk Group think tank, said the latest missile tests did not mean Pyongyang was no longer interested in talks with the United States.

"On the contrary, the choice of the short-range missile is a sign that, for the time being, Pyongyang remains serious about making a deal with the U.S.," he wrote in a report for NK News, a website that monitors North Korea.

From left to right: Naval Special Warfare Operator First Class Eddie Gallagher, Army 1Lt. Clint Lorance, and Army Special Forces Maj. Mathew Golsteyn

On Friday, President Donald Trump intervened in the cases of three U.S. service members accused of war crimes, granting pardons to two Army soldiers accused of murder in Afghanistan and restoring the rank of a Navy SEAL found guilty of wrongdoing in Iraq.

While the statements coming out of the Pentagon regarding Trump's actions have been understandably measured, comments from former military leaders and other knowledgable veterans help paint a picture as to why the president's Friday actions are so controversial.

Read More Show Less

A former Soviet submarine that became a tourist attraction docked adjacent to the Queen Mary in Long Beach is expected to be sold soon to an anonymous buyer, with plans to remove the rusting sub by mid-May.

The 48-year-old Russian Foxtrot-class submarine, known as the Scorpion, had hosted paying visitors for 17 years before it fell into such disrepair that it became infested with raccoons and was closed to the public in 2015.

Read More Show Less

Former Army 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, whom President Donald Trump recently pardoned of his 2013 murder conviction, claims he was nothing more than a pawn whom generals sacrificed for political expediency.

The infantry officer had been sentenced to 19 years in prison for ordering his soldiers to open fire on three unarmed Afghan men in 2012. Two of the men were killed.

During a Monday interview on Fox & Friends, Lorance accused his superiors of betraying him.

"A service member who knows that their commanders love them will go to the gates of hell for their country and knock them down," Lorance said. "I think that's extremely important. Anybody who is not part of the senior Pentagon brass will tell you the same thing."

"I think folks that start putting stars on their collar — anybody that has got to be confirmed by the Senate for a promotion — they are no longer a soldier, they are a politician," he continued. "And so I think they lose some of their values — and they certainly lose a lot of their respect from their subordinates — when they do what they did to me, which was throw me under the bus."

Read More Show Less
Members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps march during a parade to commemorate the anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war (1980-88), in Tehran September 22, 2011. (Reuters photo)

Fifteen years after the U.S. military toppled the regime of Saddam Hussein, the Army's massive two-volume study of the Iraq War closed with a sobering assessment of the campaign's outcome: With nearly 3,500 U.S. service members killed in action and trillions of dollars spent, "an emboldened and expansionist Iran appears to be the only victor.

Thanks to roughly 700 pages of newly-publicized secret Iranian intelligence cables, we now have a good idea as to why.

Read More Show Less
Air Force Tech. Sgt. Cody Smith (Photo courtesy U.S. Air Force)

Editor's Note: This article by Gina Harkins originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

A U.S. Air Force combat controller will receive the nation's third highest award for valor this week for playing an essential role in two intense firefight missions against the Taliban in Afghanistan last year.

Tech. Sgt. Cody Smith, an airman with the 26th Special Tactics Squadron, 24th Special Operations Wing at Air Force Special Operations Command, will receive the Silver Star at Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico on Nov. 22, the service announced Monday.

Read More Show Less