Report: Trump's Daily Briefings Often Don't Include Russia Intelligence To Avoid Upsetting Him

news
President Donald Trump speaks on tax reform in the Grand Foyer of the White House, Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2017, in Washington.
Photo via Associated Press

According to current and former U.S. officials, President Donald Trump's daily briefing is designed to avoid making him angry, and often avoids the latest intelligence on Russia's interference in the 2016 U.S. election, The Washington Post reported on Dec. 14.


"If you talk about Russia, meddling, interference — that takes the PDB off the rails," one former senior U.S. intelligence official said, using an acronym for the president's daily briefing.

Some U.S. officials did not confirm to The Washington Post whether Trump was receiving the latest intelligence on Russia, but several current and former members of the administration's staff said Trump's briefing sometimes buries the information about Russian meddling to make it easier for the president to handle, but at times is not even presented to him verbally.

Although a spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Brian Hale, told The Washington Post that the briefing is "written by senior-level, career intelligence officers," and that it "always provides objective intelligence — including on Russia — to the president and his staff," officials said that this intelligence is sometimes only included in the written briefing and is not communicated to the president orally.

Trump's strong feelings about the election meddling issue have led to inconsistencies within intelligence agencies themselves. Mike Pompeo, the director of the CIA, has at times diminished the importance of his own agency's findings on the matter, even though the CIA unequivocally stands by their reports.

While intelligence officials and agencies intentionally avoided addressing whether Russian interference affected the outcome of the 2016 election, Pompeo has stated that it did not.

More from Business Insider:

WATCH NEXT:

Photo: US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia

A former sailor who was busted buying firearms with his military discount and then reselling some of them to criminals is proving to be a wealth of information for federal investigators.

Julio Pino used his iPhone to record most, if not all, of his sales, court documents said. He even went so far as to review the buyers' driver's license on camera.

It is unclear how many of Pino's customer's now face criminal charges of their own. Federal indictments generally don't provide that level of detail and Assistant U.S. Attorney William B. Jackson declined to comment.

Read More Show Less
Photo illustration by Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

It all began with a medical check.

Carson Thomas, a healthy and fit 20-year-old infantryman who had joined the Army after a brief stint in college, figured he should tell the medics about the pain in his groin he had been feeling. It was Feb. 12, 2012, and the senior medic looked him over and decided to send him to sick call at the base hospital.

It seemed almost routine, something the Army doctors would be able to diagnose and fix so he could get back to being a grunt.

Now looking back on what happened some seven years later, it was anything but routine.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army Cpt. Katrina Hopkins and Chief Warrant Officer 2 James Rogers, assigned to Task Force Warhorse, pilot a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter during a medical evacuation (MEDEVAC) operation at Camp Taji, Iraq, Dec. 18, 2018. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Javion Siders)

U.S. forces must now ask the Iraqi military for permission to fly in Iraqi airspace before coming to the aid of U.S. troops under fire, a top military spokesman said.

However, the mandatory approval process is not expected to slow down the time it takes the U.S. military to launch close air support and casualty evacuation missions for troops in the middle of a fight, said Army Col. James Rawlinson, a spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve.

Read More Show Less
Army Spc. Clayton James Horne

Army Spc. Clayton James Horne died in Saudi Arabia on Aug. 17, making him the eighth non-combat fatality for Operation Inherent Resolve so far this year, defense officials have announced.

Horne, 23, was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, an Army Reserve unit based in Ocala, Florida, a Pentagon news release says.

Read More Show Less
Joshua Yabut/Twitter

The soldier who was arrested for taking an armored personnel carrier on a slow-speed police chase through Virginia has been found not guilty by reason of insanity on two charges, according to The Richmond-Times Dispatch.

Joshua Phillip Yabut, 30, entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle — in this case, a 12-ton APC taken from Fort Pickett in June 2018 — and violating the terms of his bond, which stemmed from a trip to Iraq he took in March 2019 (which was not a military deployment).

Read More Show Less