Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Trump Resumes Anti-ISIS Campaign In Libya With Airstrikes That Kill 17
U.S. military drone strikes on an Islamic State training camp in Libya that killed 17 militants on Sept. 22 were the first carried out in the North African country since President Donald Trump took office in January, The New York Times reports.
The Pentagon’s Africa Command, or AFRICOM, said on Sunday that “six precision airstrikes” had targeted the desert camp, which is located 150 miles southeast of Sirte and was reportedly used to stockpile weapons and equipment, plot and conduct attacks, and move ISIS fighters in and out of the country.
The strikes, which also destroyed three ISIS vehicles, were recommended by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and authorized by Trump, according to The New York Times. AFRICOM said in a statement that the strikes were executed in coordination with Libya’s Government of National Accord, helmed by Prime Minister Fayez Serraj.
“While Libya has made considerable progress against ISIS, most notable [sic] by dislodging ISIS fighters from Sirte last year, the terrorists have tried to take advantage of political instability there to create safe havens in part of the country,” AFRICOM said. “Left unaddressed, this would allow for this violent terrorist organization to inspire attacks against America, our allies and American interests around the world.”
The U.S. military conducted 495 airstrikes on ISIS targets in Sirte between August and December 2016. The last major strike carried out before President Barack Obama left office occurred on Jan. 18, when two Air Force B-2 bombers killed more than 80 suspected militants, some of whom were plotting terrorist attacks in Europe, according to the U.S. military.
Those strikes succeeded in helping drive ISIS out of Sirte, which the group had controlled since 2015. However, several hundred ISIS fighters are believed to still be operating in Libya, where vast swaths of territory remain beyond the control of Serraj’s government.
Libya has been embroiled in bloody conflict between rival armed factions as United Nations-backed efforts to establish a unified government in the wake of the 2011 Libyan Civil War have stuttered. Al-Qaeda has also established a presence in the country.
The U.N. recently launched an effort to broker a peace deal between Serraj’s government and the Libyan National Army, led by Gen. Khalifa Haftar, which controls much of the country’s east, including the area where the most recent drone strikes against ISIS took place.
“They don’t want ISIS there, they agree on that,” Gen. Thomas Waldhauser, head of AFRICOM, said of the competing factions earlier this month, according to CNN. “We are focused on continuing to support the Government of National Accord. We also are working to prevent all out civil war in that country.”
The commander of the Marine Corps' Wounded Warrior Regiment has been relieved over a loss of "trust and confidence in his ability to lead" amid an investigation into his conduct, a Corps official told Task & Purpose on Thursday.
Col. Lawrence F. Miller was removed from his post on Thursday morning and replaced with his executive officer, Lt. Col. Larry Coleman, who will serve as interim commander of the Quantico, Virginia based unit.
President Donald Trump has nixed any effort by the Navy to excommunicate Eddie Gallagher from the SEAL community.
"The Navy will NOT be taking away Warfighter and Navy Seal Eddie Gallagher's Trident Pin," the president tweeted on Thursday. "This case was handled very badly from the beginning. Get back to business!"
The Army has identified the two soldiers killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan on Wednesday as 33-year-old Chief Warrant Officer 2 David C. Knadle, and 25-year-old Chief Warrant Officer 2 Kirk T. Fuchigami Jr.
Do you find yourself wishing for a way to dish out hundreds of rubber bands in a matter of seconds? Do you have disposable income, and no sense of shame about being an adult who blows their pay on toys? And do you randomly quote lines from 80s and early 90s action flicks?
Two airmen from Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma, were killed on Thursday when two T-38 Talon training aircraft crashed during training mission, according to a message posted on the base's Facebook age.
The two airmen's names are being withheld pending next of kin notification.
A total of four airmen were onboard the aircraft at the time of the incident, base officials had previously announced.
The medical conditions for the other two people involved in the crash was not immediately known.
An investigation will be launched to determine the cause of the crash.
Emergency responders from Vance Air Force Base are at the crash scene to treat casualties and help with recovery efforts.
Read the entire message below:
VANCE AIR FORCE BASE, Okla. – Two Vance Air Force Base Airmen were killed in an aircraft mishap at approximately 9:10 a.m. today.
At the time of the accident, the aircraft were performing a training mission.
Vance emergency response personnel are on scene to treat casualties and assist in recovery efforts.
Names of the deceased will be withheld pending next of kin notification.
A safety investigation team will investigate the incident.
Additional details will be provided as information becomes available. #VanceUpdates.
This is a breaking news story. It will be updated as more information is released.