President Trump Says Troops Will Guard The US-Mexico Border

news
U.S. Marine Corps / Sgt. Tia Dufour.

President Donald Trump has announced that U.S. troops will guard the border with Mexico. The White House was expected to release further details at a news conference later on Tuesday.


“Until we can have a wall and proper security we’re going to be guarding our border with the military. That’s a big step,” Trump told reporters.

"We cannot have people flowing into our country illegally, disappearing, and by the way never showing up for court," said Trump, who has estimated that the proposed wall would eventually run for up to 800 miles.

It was not immediately clear if the troops would be state National Guard or federal forces. The Posse Comitatus Act  of 1878 prevents the military from enforcing civilian law on U.S. soil, but it does not apply to National Guardsmen activated by states.

So far, the Defense Department has not received any orders to deploy troops to the US-Mexico border, a Pentagon spokesman told Task & Purpose.

“We are preparing for the military to secure our border between Mexico and the United States,” Trump said at a press conference with the presidents of Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia on Tuesday. “We have a meeting on it in a little with Gen. Mattis and everybody and I think that it’s something that we have to do.”

Trump called the United States’ border with Mexico a lawless region and he claimed that illegal immigrants are released as soon as they are caught.

He also said a caravan of roughly 1,000 vehicles heading from Honduras to the United States was broken up after he urged Mexico to stop it before it reached the US border.

“We have to have strong borders,” Trump said. “We need the wall. We’ve started building the wall. As you know, we have $1.6 billion toward building the wall and fixing the existing wall that’s falling down and was never appropriate in the first place. That’s very important.”

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.

A Coast Guard lieutenant arrested this week planned to "murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country," according to a court filing requesting he be detained until his trial.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

At least four American veterans were among a group of eight men arrested by police in Haiti earlier this week for driving without license plates and possessing an arsenal of weaponry and tactical gear.

Police in Port-au-Prince arrested five Americans, two Serbians, and one Haitian man at a police checkpoint on Sunday, according to The Miami-Herald. The men told police they were on a "government mission" but did not specify for which government, according to The Herald.

They also told police that "their boss was going to call their boss," implying that someone high in Haiti's government would vouch for them and secure their release, Herald reporter Jacqueline Charles told NPR.

What they were actually doing or who they were potentially working for remains unclear. A State Department spokesperson told Task & Purpose they were aware that Haitian police arrested a "group of individuals, including some U.S. citizens," but declined to answer whether the men were employed by or operating under contract with the U.S. government.

Read More Show Less
A photo shared by Hoda Muthana on her now-closed @ZumarulJannaTwitter account. (Twitter/ZumarulJannah)

The State Department announced Wednesday that notorious ISIS bride Hoda Muthana, a U.S.-born woman who left Alabama to join ISIS but began begging to return to the U.S. after recently deserting the terror group, is not a U.S. citizen and will not be allowed to return home.

Read More Show Less
Heckler & Koch's first batch of M27 Infantry Automatic Rifles

Have you ever wondered what would happen if the employee behind a firearm company's Facebook page decided to goaded a bunch of Marines into destroying their brand new firearms? Now you know.

Read More Show Less

A top Senate Republican and fierce ally of President Donald Trump reportedly exploded at Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan recently about the U.S. military's plans to withdraw all troops from Syria by the end of April.

"That's the dumbest f******g idea I've ever heard," Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) reportedly replied when Shanahan confirmed the Trump administration still plans to complete the Syria withdrawal by April 30.

Later, Graham told Shanahan, "I am now your adversary, not your friend."

Read More Show Less