Part of being a great commander-in-chief is having a deep respect for the nation’s military and its personnel. For President Donald J. Trump, that means celebrating your inauguration by showing off America’s military muscle.
During President Donald J. Trump's inauguration on Jan. 20, the 45th president will have a flyover of as many as 20 aircraft drawn from each branch, reports the The Huffington Post. The Air Force will fly the F-35, F-16, F-22, and F15-E. The Navy will fly F/A-18s. The Army will fly UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters. The Marines will fly V-22 Ospreys and the Coast Guard is aiming to fly MH-65 rescue helicopters.
However, this is actually a toned down version of the military presence Trump’s team initially asked for. They didn’t want planes or helicopters; oh no, they wanted tanks and missiles. Talk about making a statement as commander-in-chief.
In preparation for the Jan. 20 transfer-of-power, a member of Trump’s transition team floated the idea of including tanks and missile launchers in the inaugural parade, a source involved in the planning told Huffington Post.
“They were legit thinking Red Square/North Korea-style parade,” the source said, in reference to the large-scale military parades in Moscow and Pyongyang, which are often seen as an aggressive display of muscle flexing.
Unfortunately for those who want to see a bunch of tanks come rumbling down Pennsylvania Avenue, the request was shot down by the military, which works closely with the presidential inaugural committee. The reasons? First some were concerned about what kind of image having tanks and missile launchers steamrolling through the capitol would send. And secondly, the roads simple couldn’t handle that much weight. After all, Washington D.C. is built on a swamp.
Though he may not be getting the big guns for his inauguration, the newly elected president has alluded to his desire to hold more military parades during his term in office.
“And we’re going to show the people as we build up our military, we’re going to display our military,” Trump told the Washington Post recently. “That military may come marching down Pennsylvania Avenue. That military may be flying over New York City and Washington, D.C., for parades. I mean, we’re going to be showing our military.”
An aerial view of the Pentagon building in Washington, June 15, 2005. U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld defended the Guantanamo prison against critics who want it closed by saying U.S. taxpayers have a big financial stake in it and no other facility could replace it at a Pentagon briefing on Tuesday. (Reuters/Jason Reed JIR/CN)
The Pentagon is sending nearly 1,000 more troops to the Middle East as part of an escalating crisis with Iran that defense officials are struggling to explain.
The Marine lieutenant colonel removed from command of the 1st Reconnaissance Battalion in May was ousted over alleged "misconduct" but has not been charged with a crime, Task & Purpose has learned.
Lt. Col. Francisco Zavala, 42, who was removed from his post by the commanding general of 1st Marine Division on May 7, has since been reassigned to the command element of 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, and a decision on whether he will be charged is "still pending," MEF spokeswoman 1st Lt. Virginia Burger told Task & Purpose last week.
"We are not aware of any ongoing or additional investigations of Lt. Col. Zavala at this time," MEF spokesman 2nd Lt. Brian Tuthill told Task & Purpose on Monday. "The command investigation was closed May 14 and the alleged misconduct concerns Articles 128 and 133 of the UCMJ," Tuthill added, mentioning offenses under military law that deal with assault and conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
"There is a period of due process afforded the accused and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.
When asked for an explanation for the delay, MEF officials directed Task & Purpose to contact 1st Marine Division officials, who did not respond before deadline.
The investigation of Zavala, completed on May 3 and released to Task & Purpose in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, showed that he had allegedly acted inappropriately. The report also confirmed some details of his wife's account of alleged domestic violence that Task & Purpose first reported last month.