18-Year-Old Killed On Malfunctioning Ohio Fair Ride Had Just Joined The Marines

U.S. Marine Corps

Tyler Jarrell still had his senior year of high school to finish, but he knew what he wanted to do next summer after graduation: claim the title of United States Marine. On July 21, he signed his enlistment papers.

On July 26, he was killed, the sole fatality in a horrific amusement-park accident that injured seven others at the Ohio State Fair in Columbus.

Several of the injured, including the 18-year-old Jarrell, were on the 40-foot-high swinging, spinning “Fire Ball” ride when something malfunctioned, and riders on one section were thrown off high in the air — a tragedy captured on video by multiple bystanders, some of whom were also injured by falling debris.

One witness told CNN everyone nearby ran for their lives. "I just don't think I'll ever ride a ride ever again," she added.

On July 27, the Marine Corps issued a statement to media outlets confirming that Jarrell had just enlisted in the service with hopes of becoming an infantryman or a combat engineer, according to Fox News.

"Our heartfelt condolences go out to Poolee Tyler Jarrell's family and all of those affected by his loss," the statement read. "The Marines here are greatly saddened by this tragedy. We are truly proud to have known him as one of the brave few willing to step up and serve his country in the United States Marine Corps."

Just four days before the mishap that took his life, Jarrell was featured on his recruiting station’s Facebook page:

Many Facebook users are now leaving messages of sympathy on the page.

Authorities said the ride had passed multiple inspections in recent days. Gov. John Kasich vowed there would be an immediate investigation, and all rides would shut down until they could be scrutinized further. The AP reported that several other states were shutting down similar rides until their safety could be assured. The Dutch manufacturer of the Fire Ball, KMG, also requested a global safety shutdown of all its machines.

There are reportedly 43 such rides worldwide; 11 are in the United States.

Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less
The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)

In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.

Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.

And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

At least four American veterans were among a group of eight men arrested by police in Haiti earlier this week for driving without license plates and possessing an arsenal of weaponry and tactical gear.

Police in Port-au-Prince arrested five Americans, two Serbians, and one Haitian man at a police checkpoint on Sunday, according to The Miami-Herald. The men told police they were on a "government mission" but did not specify for which government, according to The Herald.

They also told police that "their boss was going to call their boss," implying that someone high in Haiti's government would vouch for them and secure their release, Herald reporter Jacqueline Charles told NPR.

What they were actually doing or who they were potentially working for remains unclear. A State Department spokesperson told Task & Purpose they were aware that Haitian police arrested a "group of individuals, including some U.S. citizens," but declined to answer whether the men were employed by or operating under contract with the U.S. government.

Read More Show Less

A Coast Guard lieutenant arrested this week planned to "murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country," according to a court filing requesting he be detained until his trial.

Read More Show Less
(Getty Images/Spencer Grant)

(Reuters Health) - Military service members who are at risk for suicide may be less likely to attempt to harm themselves when they receive supportive text messages, a U.S. study suggests.

Read More Show Less