WASHINGTON – An appellate court panel rejected on Tuesday the $100-million wrongful death claim brought by the family of a Marine recruit from Taylor who died in a fall, saying it was bound to do so under a much-criticized Supreme Court precedent.
Raheel Siddiqui's family brought the claim after investigators found evidence of hazing by Siddiqui's drill instructor prior to the 20-year-old recruit's death at the training base at Parris Island, South Carolina, in 2016.
A federal judge in Detroit on Tuesday dismissed a $100-million lawsuit against the U.S. Marine Corps brought by the family of Raheel Siddiqui, who died in a fall from a stairwell at the Marines' Parris Island, South Carolina, boot camp in April 2016.
The family of a Muslim Marine recruit from Taylor, Michigan, who died in a fall at boot camp last year after allegedly being hazed and abused is suing the government for $100 million for his death, claiming "negligence on multiple levels of command."
President Donald Trump on June 13 said he will award the Medal of Honor next month to a retired west Michigan high school teacher and coach who as a medic is credited with saving the lives of 10 members of his platoon during the Battle of Nui Yon Hill in Vietnam nearly 50 years ago.
The family of a Muslim Marine recruit from Michigan who died in a fall at boot camp said Friday they don't believe the charges announced so far in their son's death are severe enough for the hazing and abuse he endured.