Get Task & Purpose in your inbox
Declassified Video Purportedly Shows Navy Pilots Encountering Mysterious UFO
Recently declassified footage purports to show a new instance of the military tracking an unidentified flying object.
The footage was recorded in 2015 on a Raytheon ATFLIR pod, a targeting pod mounted underneath aircraft that's equipped with a camera with a laser rangefinder and a laser-spot tracker.
The pod was mounted underneath a U.S. Navy F/A-18 jet flying about 25,000 feet at a speed of Mach 0.62. The camera makes three attempts to lock on to an object moving extremely fast but fails the first two times.
On the third try, the pod manages to get a lock, and the pilots speak out about their excitement and amazement at what they are seeing.
"Whoa! Got it!" one of the pilots, yells out loud after locking on to the UFO.
"What the f--- is that thing?!" the other asks.
The object continues at a fast rate, and the pilots appear to be amazed.
"Wow! What is that, man?" one says. "Look at that flying!"
One of the pilots from the declassified videos published by The Times told ABC News that he thought the aircraft he saw was "not from this world."
"After 18 years of flying, I've seen pretty much about everything that I can see in that realm, and this was nothing close," Commander David Fravor said.
The footage was posted online by To The Stars Academy of Arts & Science, a private scientific research group that aims to "help push science, technology, and ultimately humanity forward."
It is not the first time UFO footage recorded by the military has been declassified.
The New York Times published videos in December of declassified UFO flights recorded by the U.S. military. The Times later reported that the Department of Defense fielded a program that investigated the incidents, but that it was terminated in 2012.
"The Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program ended in the 2012 time frame. It was determined that there were other, higher-priority issues that merited funding and it was in the best interest of the DoD to make a change," a spokesperson from the DoD said at the time.
"The DoD takes seriously all threats and potential threats to our people, our assets, and our mission and takes action whenever credible information is developed."
Chris Mellon, an adviser to TTSA and a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for intelligence for the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations, wrote a piece in The Washington Post on Friday calling for more attention to the UFO issue.
Mellon wrote, "We have no idea what's behind these weird incidents because we're not investigating."
He said one of the reasons it isn't investigated to the extent it should be is the stigma attached to UFOs.
"Nobody wants to be 'the alien guy' in the national security bureaucracy; nobody wants to be ridiculed or sidelined for drawing attention to the issue," he said.
"This is true up and down the chain of command, and it is a serious and recurring impediment to progress."
More from Business Insider:
- It looks like the U.S. will hold back the big guns from military drills as North Korea talks loom
- The military is looking for ways to slow down 'biological time' in order to save wounded soldiers
- The Air Force is preparing to fight in space 'in a matter of years'
- A double-amputee Navy SEAL platoon commander won a gold medal at the Winter Paralympics
- Mexico's surging narco-violence is intensifying at the edges of one of its biggest tourist hotspots
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Defense Secretary Mark Esper said on Friday that no U.S. troops will take part in enforcing the so-called safe zone in northern Syria and the United States "is continuing our deliberate withdrawal from northeastern Syria."
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Friday said Turkey will set up a dozen observation posts across northeast Syria, insisting that a planned "safe zone" will extend much further than U.S. officials said was covered under a fragile ceasefire deal.
On Tuesday at the Association of the U.S. Army's annual conference, Army families had the opportunity to tell senior leaders exactly what was going on in their worlds — an opportunity that is, unfortunately, all too rare.
A new documentary series about Clint Lorance pits the infantry officer convicted of murder against his former soldiers
The fog of war, just kills, and war crimes are the focus of a new documentary series coming to STARZ. Titled Leavenworth, the five-part series profiles 1st Lt. Clint Lorance, the Army infantry officer who was convicted on murder charges for ordering his soldiers to fire on three unarmed Afghan men on a motorcycle, killing two and wounding the third, while deployed to the Zhari district in Kandahar province, on July 2, 2012.
A big stereotype surrounding U.S. service members and veterans is that they are defined only by their military service, from buying "Dysfunctional Veteran" t-shirts to playing hard-boiled, high-octane first-person shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty (we honestly have no idea where anyone could get that impression).
But the folks at OSD (formerly called Operation Supply Drop), a non-profit veteran service organization that aims to help troops and vets connect with each other through free video games, service programs and other activities, recently found that most of the gamers they've served actually prefer less military-centric fare like sports games and fantasy RPGs.
CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (Reuters) - Shelling could be heard at the Syrian-Turkish border on Friday morning despite a five-day ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the United States, and Washington said the deal covered only a small part of the territory Ankara aims to seize.
Reuters journalists at the border heard machine-gun fire and shelling and saw smoke rising from the Syrian border battlefield city of Ras al Ain, although the sounds of fighting had subsided by mid-morning.
The truce, announced on Thursday by U.S. Vice President Mike Pence after talks in Ankara with Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, sets out a five-day pause to let the Kurdish-led SDF militia withdraw from an area controlled by Turkish forces.
The SDF said air and artillery attacks continued to target its positions and civilian targets in Ral al Ain.
"Turkey is violating the ceasefire agreement by continuing to attack the town since last night," SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali tweeted.
The Kurdish-led administration in the area said Turkish truce violations in Ras al Ain had caused casualties, without giving details.