US Pilot 'Involved' In Ukraine Fighter Crash, Status Unknown

news

The status of a U.S. pilot remains unclear after a Ukrainian fighter crashed on Tuesday during joint exercises in western Ukraine.


A Ukrainian Sukhoi SU-27B went down in the Khmelnytskyi region, killing both the pilot and co-pilot, the Ukrainian military’s general staff announced on Tuesday.

Initially, the general staff announced that an American was one of the two killed, but that information was retracted, according to Meduza, a Russian-speaking media outlet.

Defense officials in Europe were unable to tell Task & Purpose on Tuesday whether the American pilot was alive.

“At this moment, we can only say that a U.S. service member was involved in the incident, and that it is still under investigation,” Capt. Christopher Bowyer-Meeder, a spokesman for U.S. Air Forces Europe, said in an email.

This post will be updated as we learn more.

Kade Kurita (U.S. Army photo(

Kade Kurita, the 20-year-old West Point cadet who had been missing since Friday evening, was found dead on Tuesday night, the U.S. Military Academy announced early Wednesday morning.

"We are grieving this loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to Cadet Kurita's family and friends," Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams, superintendent of West Point, said in the release.

Read More Show Less

Mark Mitchell is stepping down as the acting assistant defense secretary for special operations and low-intensity conflict, a position he has held since late June, a defense official confirmed on Tuesday.

No information was immediately available about why Mitchell decided to resign. His last day will be Nov. 1 and he will be replaced by Thomas Alexander, who is currently leading the Defense Department's counternarcotics efforts, the defense official told Task & Purpose.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Army's Next Generation Squad Weapon effort looked a lot more possible this week as the three competing weapons firms displayed their prototype 6.8mm rifles and automatic rifles at the 2019 Association of the United States Army's annual meeting.

Just two months ago, the Army selected General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems inc., Textron Systems and Sig Sauer Inc. for the final phase of the NGSW effort — one of the service's top modernization priorities to replace the 5.56mm M4A1 carbine and the M249 squad automatic weapon in infantry and other close-combat units.

Army officials, as well as the companies in competition, have been guarded about specific details, but the end result will equip combat squads with weapons that fire a specially designed 6.8mm projectile, capable of penetrating enemy body armor at ranges well beyond the current M855A1 5.56mm round.

There have previously been glimpses of weapons from two firms, but this year's AUSA was the first time all three competitors displayed their prototype weapons, which are distinctly different from one another.

Read More Show Less

An expert sniper can sneak up on an enemy naked as the day he was born. It's not particularly advised, but one top sharpshooter did exactly that just to prove a point, Marine snipers told Insider.

Read More Show Less

Battlefield V is shipping out to the Pacific theater of World War II, and it's about time!

Read More Show Less