'They now have family:' Dozens show up to honor unclaimed veterans buried with military honors

news
A military funeral at Fort Jackson National Cemetery in 2014. Photo: Sgt. 1st Class Joel Quebec/U.S. Army

Joseph Williams lived under the Blossom Street Bridge, where 27,000 cars passed over his head every day. His body was found alone on April 1, a day or so after he died of natural causes. He had no family and lived 58 years with virtually no paper trail.


"He is an enigma," said Bill Stevens, deputy coroner with the Richland County Coroner's Office.

After an exhaustive month-long search, officials were only able to discover that Williams was a Washington D.C. native who served his country for three years in the U.S. Army. His service guaranteed him a military burial, paid for by the federal government. And like all veterans of the armed forces, he was not alone.

On Wednesday, nearly 80 people — most of them veterans or family of active service members — gathered as Williams and another unclaimed veteran were laid to rest in the Fort Jackson National Cemetery with full military honors.

"They are previously unclaimed," said William Lynch, chairman of the Homeless Veteran Burial Program. "They are now claimed, they now have family and now they will be at rest with their brothers and sisters."

Williams, 58, served in the Army from 1978 to 1981. Danny Ballantyne, 74, of Sumter, served as a Lance Corporal in the U.S. Marines from 1962 to 1965 and earned a Good Conduct Medal, which recognizes three consecutive years of "honorable and faithful service," according to a press release.

A network of several veterans groups came together to honor their fallen comrades.

The remains were escorted by about 40 members of the Patriot Guard Riders, mostly bearded men on motorcycles clad in leather or denim vests with patches representing the war they fought in, the veterans' group they belong to, the insignia of a motorcycle group — such as the American Infidels — and, of course, the American flag.

They guided two hearses to a curb at the Fort Jackson National Cemetery, where dozens of people immediately stood at attention and saluted the caskets, both draped in American flags. Some guests wore a suit and tie, and a red beret stuck with ornate pins and embroidered with the war they fought; some wore a full military uniform from their respective branch; and others wore their Sunday best.

Two Columbia-area wives of military service members — Jenny Reosti and Jenell Torbit — brought their children to show support for Williams and Ballantyne.

"I think it's important for (my children) to appreciate what these people have done for us," said Reosti, whose husband serves in the Army. She brought three of her children, who are between 6 and 12 years old.

Torbit felt compelled to bring her four children, between 2 and 9 years old, when the ceremony for the unclaimed veterans was announced at her church on Sunday.

"Because we are Christian, we believe we are all family and united," said Torbit, whose husband serves in the Air Force reserves.

As guests gathered around the caskets, the sun illuminated thousands of white stones, each carved with a name that carries a story as vibrant as the next, said Sam Boone, a retired U.S. Army chaplain.

"The stories of men and women who answered the call when given to them to defend our nation, our constitution and our way of life; to defend it here and around the world," Boone said. "No amount of money will buy that plot. It is only purchased by the service and sacrifice to our beloved nation."

Williams and Ballantyne will join more than 6,200 names inscribed on the white stones that perfectly line the rolling-green landscape in the Fort Jackson National Cemetery.

During the ceremony, a line of men and women holding flags encircled the crowd, which gathered in the shade of an open-air shelter. A surprise storm rolled through, and as some gathered closer together under the shelter to avoid getting wet, the line of people with flags held steady and unflinching in the rain. It was a small sacrifice to their fellow soldiers.

"Their services honored the colors of our nation, and today, our nation's colors honor them," Boone said to the crowd, with his back to the caskets. He then swiveled on his heel to face the caskets in salute. "Danny and Joseph, you are dismissed to join your final formation. May you rest in peace."

A group of men then fired rifles into the air three times.

©2019 The State (Columbia, S.C.) Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

SEE ALSO: Hundreds Of Strangers Attend Funerals For Veterans Who Died Alone

WATCH NEXT: A Viking Funeral For Staff Sgt. Dylan Elchin

he amphibious assault ship USS Makin Island (LHD 8) returns to homeport at Naval Base San Diego on February 25, 2015. (U.S. Navy/ Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Corwin Colbert)

SAN DIEGO, Calif. — A former U.S. Navy sailor was sentenced to 20 years in prison Monday for having sexual contact with a 14-year-old Oceanside girl in 2017, federal prosecutors in San Diego said in a statement.

Read More Show Less

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Known for acting on impulse, President Donald Trump has adopted an uncharacteristically go-slow approach to whether to hold Iran responsible for attacks on Saudi oil facilities, showing little enthusiasm for confrontation as he seeks re-election next year.

After state-owned Saudi Aramco's plants were struck on Saturday, Trump didn't wait long to fire off a tweet that the United States was "locked and loaded" to respond, and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran.

But four days later, Trump has no timetable for action. Instead, he wants to wait and see the results of investigations into what happened and is sending Pompeo to consult counterparts in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates this week.

Read More Show Less

That sound you're hearing is Army senior leaders exhaling a sigh of relief, because the Army has surpassed its recruiting goal for the year.

After failing to meet recruiting goals in 2018, the Army put the pedal to the metal and "did some soul searching," said Acting Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy, to ensure that they'd meet their 2019 goal. It must have paid off — the service announced on Tuesday that more than 68,000 recruits have signed on as active-duty soldiers, and more soldiers have stuck around than they expected.

Read More Show Less

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein transformed into the Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files" on Tuesday when explaining why UFO enthusiasts should avoid storming the mythical Area 51 installation in Nevada.

"All joking aside, we're taking it very seriously," Goldfein told reporters during the Air Force Association's annual Air, Space, and Cyber Conference. "Our nation has secrets, and those secrets deserve to be protected. The people deserve to have our nation's secrets protected."

Read More Show Less
Paul Szoldra/Task & Purpose

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego-based Navy SEAL acquitted of murder in a closely watched war crimes trial this summer has filed a lawsuit against two of his former attorneys and a military legal defense nonprofit, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Texas on Friday.

Read More Show Less