Mastermind Of Migrant Smuggling Operation That Involved Fort Hood Soldiers Sentenced

news

A federal judge sentenced a Houston man to nearly two years in prison for conspiring with a Harlingen man and active duty soldiers stationed at Fort Hood to smuggle undocumented immigrants north throughout the country.


U.S. District Judge Rolando Olvera sentenced Victoriano Zamora-Jasso, 54, to 21 months in prison, the United States Attorney Office, Southern District of Texas, announced in a press release.

Zamora-Jasso, an undocumented immigrant, is expected to be deported after serving his sentence.

According to the indictment, Zamora-Jasso began supplying undocumented immigrants to Arnold Gracia, 48, of Harlingen, in early 2014. Gracia would transport them through the Sarita checkpoint and recruited four active duty soldiers stationed at Fort Hood to transport the undocumented immigrants further north, according to the USAO.

Between March and September 2014, the soldiers would hide the undocumented immigrants under military gear and made many successful trips throughout the course of the conspiracy, according to the press release.

Those soldiers have already been sentenced.

Brandon Troy Robbins, 24, of San Antonio, was sentenced to 20 months in prison. Eric Alexander Rodriguez, 25, of Odem, was sentenced to a year in prison, and Christopher David Wix, 24, of Abilene, and Yashira Perez-Morales, 28, of Watertown, New York, were sentenced to a year and one day in prison, according to the USAO. Those sentences were handed down in 2015 and 2016.

Gracia was sentenced to a little more than six years in prison for his role.

As for Zamora-Jasso, he pleaded guilty on Jan. 29 on the eve of jury selection and will remain in custody pending transfer to the Bureau of Prisons, according to the press release.

———

©2018 The Brownsville Herald (Brownsville, Texas). Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

WATCH NEXT:

(U.S. Army photo by Spc. Keion Jackson).

The U.S. military will build 'facilities' to house at least 7,500 adult migrants, the Pentagon announced on Wednesday.

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan has approved a request from the Department of Homeland Security to construct the facilities, said Pentagon spokesman Army Maj. Chris Mitchell.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Brian M. Wilbur.)

Defense officials will brief President Donald Trump's national security team on a plan that involves sending 5,000 more troops to the Middle East to deter Iran, Task & Purpose has learned.

So far, no decisions have been made about whether to send the reinforcements to the region, unnamed U.S. officials told CNN's Barbara Starr.

"The military capabilities being discussed include sending additional ballistic missile defense systems, Tomahawk cruise missiles on submarines, and surface ships with land attack capabilities for striking at a long range," CNN reports. "Specific weapons systems and units have not been identified."

Read More Show Less

The thousands of sailors, Coasties and Marines who descend on New York City every year for Fleet Week are an awesome sight to behold on their own, but this year's confab of U.S. service members includes a uniquely powerful homecoming as well.

Read More Show Less

When an Air Force major called J.J. completed a solo flight in the U-2 in late August 2016 — 60 years after the high-flying aircraft was introduced — he became the 1,000th pilot to do so.

J.J., whose name was withheld by the U.S. Air Force for security reasons, earned his solo patch a few days after pilots No. 998 and No. 999. Those three pilots are in distinguished company, two fellow pilots said this month.

"We have a pretty small, elite team of folks. We're between about 60 and 70 active-duty pilots at any given time," Maj. Matt "Top" Nauman said during an Air Force event at the Intrepid Sea, Air, and Space Museum in New York City.

"We're about 1,050 [pilots] right now. So to put that in context, there are more people with Super Bowl rings than there are people with U-2 patches," Nauman added. "It's a pretty small group of people that we've hired over the last 60 to 65 years."

Read More Show Less
(DoD/Sgt. Amber I. Smith)

In what appear to be his first public remarks on U.S. national security since his resignation as Secretary of Defense, retired Marine Gen. James Mattis offered a word of caution to President Donald Trump amid escalating tensions with Iran on Tuesday.

"The United States should buy time to keep peace and stability and allow diplomats to work diplomacy on how to keep peace for one more hour, one more day, one more week, a month or a year," Mattis said during remarks in the United Arab Emirates.

"Iran's behavior must change," Mattis added, "[but] the military must work to buy time for diplomats to work their magic."

Read More Show Less