UNSUNG HEROES: The Airman Who Died After Rescuing A Family From A Burning Building

Unsung Heroes
Staff Sgt. Cierra Rogers
U.S. Air Force photo

U.S. troops stationed at Osan Air Base in South Korea are mourning the loss of one of their own, who risked her life to save a local family from a burning building.


On April 29, a devastating fire broke out in a South Korean residential building where Air Force Staff Sgt. Cierra Rogers, a 731st Air Mobility Squadron administrative assistant, was visiting a locally residing family — a 30-year-old mother from Nigeria and her three children, ages 1, 3, and 4.

According to the Associated Press, Rogers smelled smoke and soon realized that she and the Enyioko family were trapped. She kicked out a window in order to allow access to the patio, and then tried to climb down the 37-foot building with only a thin wire to find help.

Other U.S. personnel who were in the area saw Rogers fall from the building and rushed to her aid. The rescue team of about 10 people then caught the family of four with a large blanket as they jumped from the fourth story — most of which can be seen in a graphic video taken from a witness’ cell phone.

"I just did what I thought was right,” Rogers said in an interview with Fox News. “If we'd stayed in that building without me doing anything, we would have died."

U.S. Air Force photo

Rogers, 26, was a native of Dallas, Texas. She was hospitalized days after the heroic rescue effort and required surgery. Rogers was discharged from the hospital and even made an international move back to the United States. But soon after arriving to her follow-on duty station in May, she was rushed to the hospital after experiencing chest pains, and died suddenly, according to a Fox News report. The direct cause of her death is unclear and is still being investigated, Air Force Times reports.

The Enyioko family, along with representatives from the Nigerian Embassy and South Korean government, including Lt. Gen. Lee Wang-Keon — the commander of South Korean air force operations command — attended her memorial service.

"Staff Sgt. Rogers' honorable actions to help those in danger were a true example of what it means to serve," Lee said. "We highly respect her courageous actions and will forever remember her noble sacrifice."

New London — Retired four-star general John Kelly said that as President Donald Trump's chief of staff, he pushed back against the proposal to deploy U.S. troops to the southern border, arguing at the time that active-duty U.S. military personnel typically don't deploy or operate domestically.

"We don't like it," Kelly said in remarks at the Coast Guard Academy on Thursday night. "We see that as someone else's job meaning law enforcement."

Read More Show Less
Photo: Iran

Editor's Note: This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Yemen's Houthi rebel group, part of a regional network of militants backed by Iran, claims to be behind the drone strikes on two Saudi oil facilities that have the potential to disrupt global oil supplies.

A report from the United Nations Security Council published in January suggests that Houthi forces have obtained more powerful drone weaponry than what was previously available to them, and that the newer drones have the capability to travel greater distances and inflict more harm.

Read More Show Less

Editor's Note: This article by Matthew Cox originally appeared on Military.com, a leading source of news for the military and veteran community.

The U.S. Air Force has selected two companies to make an extreme cold-weather boot for pilots as part of a long-term effort to better protect aviators from frostbite in emergencies.

In August the service awarded a contract worth up to $4.75 million to be split between Propel LLC and the Belleville Boot Company for boots designed keep pilots' feet warm in temperatures as low as -20 Fahrenheit without the bulk of existing extreme cold weather boots, according to Debra McLean, acquisition program manager for Clothing & Textiles Domain at Air Force Life Cycle Management Command's Agile Combat Support/Human Systems Division.

Read More Show Less

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran rejected accusations by the United States that it was behind attacks on Saudi oil plants that risk disrupting world energy supplies and warned on Sunday that U.S. bases and aircraft carriers in the region were in range of its missiles.

Yemen's Houthi group claimed responsibility for Saturday's attacks that knocked out more than half of Saudi oil output or more than 5% of global supply, but U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the assault was the work of Iran, a Houthi ally.

Read More Show Less
Maj. Matthew Golsteyn in Afghanistan. (Photo courtesy of Philip Stackhouse.)

Nearly a decade after he allegedly murdered an unarmed Afghan civilian during a 2010 deployment, the case of Army Maj. Matthew Golsteyn is finally going to trial.

Read More Show Less