UNSUNG HEROES: The Airman Who Saved 10 Men From A Burning Chinook

Unsung Heroes
Air Force photo

On March 4, 2002, Senior Airman Jason D. Cunningham was serving as a pararescueman near the village of Marzak in the Paktia province of Afghanistan. He was the primary Air Force combat search and rescue medic assigned to a task force sent to recover Tech. Sgt. John A. Chapman, a combat controller for a SEAL team, and Petty Officer 1st Class Neil C. Roberts, a SEAL, who were trapped in Al-Qaeda-held territory.

Roberts had been thrown from his transport helicopter when it was met with enemy fire, and Chapman was sent in an initial push to rescue him.

Around 3 a.m., Cunningham’s task force was being transported by Chinook helicopter. By the time it reached the site where the group was meant to pick up Chapman and Roberts, it no longer had the cover of night. The enemy was waiting, a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire overtook the helicopter, causing it to crash-land in the mountains.

On board were roughly 15 Rangers, an Air Force enlisted tactical air controller, a pair of Air Force pararescue jumpers and another Air Force special operations combat controller.

According to Cunningham’s citation, “The assault force formed a hasty defense,” which became part of a 15-hour firefight. None of the men were killed by the crash, but they suffered three fatalities and five critical casualties in a barrage of enemy fire soon thereafter.

Surrounded by flying bullets, Cunningham began triaging the wounded from within the Chinook with help from a medic. But the helicopter’s cargo bay soon became a collection point for the bodies of fallen soldiers, according to Military Times.

Four hours into the fight, the Chinook became too dangerous for Cunningham and the remaining injured men. Using a small sled, he dragged the wounded troops away from the aircraft, crossing the line of fire seven times in the process. But it wasn’t safe there either.

Cunningham and the medic then had to move the men a second and third time. Then his medic was shot twice, and Cunningham was hit too.

But he continued on, telling the other men how to care for the wounded.

He knew was losing blood fast. As time went on, the snow beneath him had turned from white to red, until 8 p.m. when he lost consciousness and died. Cunningham became the first pararescueman to be killed in combat since the Vietnam War.

Back at Bagram Air Force base, it was revealed that all the men he treated in the field survived.

For his bravery, he was posthumously awarded the Air Force Cross Sept. 13, 2002. It is the second highest award after the Medal of Honor.

"Even after he was mortally wounded and quickly deteriorating, he continued to direct patient movement and transferred care to another medic. In the end, his distinct efforts led to the successful delivery of 10 gravely wounded Americans to life-saving medical treatment," his citation reads.

As of 2015, however, Cunningham is being reconsidered for an upgrade to the Medal of Honor for his actions.


Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less
Veterans Day at the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery, 11 November, 2018. Photo: Erich Backes/U.S. Army

In typical veteran community fashion, hundreds of people showed up to two separate funerals last week for veterans who otherwise would have been buried alone.

Read More Show Less
(U.S. Marine Corps/Lance Cpl. Darien J. Bjorndal)

KABUL (Reuters) - The Taliban killed more than 100 members of the Afghan security forces inside a military compound in central Maidan Wardak province on Monday, a senior defense official said.

Read More Show Less
Coast Guard cutter Bertholf on a counterdrug patrol in the eastern Pacific Ocean, March 11, 2018. (U.S. Coast Guard/Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael Trees

U.S. Coast Guard cutter Bertholf left California on January 20 for a months-long mission in the Pacific to support U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, the largest of the U.S. military's geographic combatant commands.

Coast Guardsmen aboard the Bertholf left Alameda on the 30th day of what is now the longest government shutdown in U.S. history. They left a few days after not getting their first paycheck since that shutdown started and without knowing when the next will come.

Read More Show Less
Plebes in the U.S. Naval Academy Class of 2015 march into Bancroft Hall following noon meal formation in Tecumseh Court. (U.S. Navy)

Leaking pipes. Moldering walls. Condemned offices and balconies. Plumbing that can't handle its load and a stormwater system dumping unfiltered rainwater into the Severn River.

These aren't the issues of a long-abandoned factory. They describe the current condition of the Naval Academy.

Read More Show Less