UNSUNG HEROES: The Soldier Who Sacrificed Her Life To Protect Countless Others

Unsung Heroes
Photo by U.S. Special Operations Command

1st Lt. Jennifer M. Moreno was only three months into her first deployment with the Army’s 75th Ranger Regiment in the Zhari district in Kandahar province, Afghanistan, when a night raid took a turn for the worst.

On the evening of Oct. 5, 2013, Moreno and other members of the regiment were on foot patrol, performing a raid on a high-value Taliban bomb-making compound.

There, a suicide bomber detonated an an explosive vest. After the explosion, other insurgents triggered roughly a dozen improvised explosive devices inside the compound the force was entering, reported The San Diego Tribune.

Moreno, who originally joined the Army as a nurse, chose to go after and aid a wounded soldier over her own safety. In moving to attend to her comrade, she stepped on a landmine that ended her life.

Capt. Amanda King, commander of Moreno’s cultural support team, wrote in her eulogy, “None of us would have done what you did, running into hell to save your wounded brothers, knowing full well you probably wouldn’t make it back.”

Moreno was posthumously promoted to the rank of captain and and awarded the Combat Action Badge, Bronze Star Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Purple Heart, Afghanistan Campaign Medal and NATO Medal.

Related: Six women who fought in direct combat in Iraq and Afghanistan »

Her fellow soldiers — Sgt. Patrick Hawkins, Sgt. Joseph Peters and Pfc. Cody Patterson — were also killed during the raid, and 30 other soldiers were wounded in the attack. However, in standing their ground, the regiment saved countless people from an attack that was intended to kill civilians.

Moreno, who was just 25 at the time of her death, was attached to a joint special operations task force as a cultural support team member. These teams are made up of female soldiers who can engage Afghan women in a way that male soldiers can’t. She had volunteered for the position with U.S. Special Operations Command after completing Army airborne training in 2009.

Prior to that deployment, which began in July 2013, Moreno served with the medical center at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, as a clinical staff nurse on a medical surgical unit.

Military Times reported that Moreno is survived by her mother and two sisters in San Diego, and her brother who serves in the Army.

U.S. soldiers surveil the area during a combined joint patrol in Manbij, Syria, November 1, 2018. Picture taken November 1, 2018. (U.S. Army/Zoe Garbarino/Handout via Reuters)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will leave "a small peacekeeping group" of 200 American troops in Syria for a period of time after a U.S. pullout, the White House said on Thursday, as President Donald Trump pulled back from a complete withdrawal.

Read More Show Less
Construction crews staged material needed for the Santa Teresa Border Wall Replacement project near the Santa Teresa Port of Entry. (U.S. Customs and Border Patrol/Mani Albrecht)

With a legal fight challenge mounting from state governments over the Trump administration's use of a national emergency to construct at the U.S.-Mexico border, the president has kicked his push for the barrier into high gear.

On Wednesday, President Trump tweeted a time-lapse video of wall construction in New Mexico; the next day, he proclaimed that "THE WALL IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION RIGHT NOW"

But there's a big problem: The footage, which was filmed more than five months ago on Sep. 18, 2018, isn't really new wall construction at all, and certainly not part of the ongoing construction of "the wall" that Trump has been haggling with Congress over.

Read More Show Less
(From left to right) Chris Osman, Chris McKinley, Kent Kroeker, and Talon Burton

A group comprised of former U.S. military veterans and security contractors who were detained in Haiti on weapons charges has been brought back to the United States and arrested upon landing, The Miami-Herald reported.

The men — five Americans, two Serbs, and one Haitian — were stopped at a Port-au-Prince police checkpoint on Sunday while riding in two vehicles without license plates, according to police. When questioned, the heavily-armed men allegedly told police they were on a "government mission" before being taken into custody.

Read More Show Less
Army Sgt. Jeremy Seals died on Oct. 31, 2018, following a protracted battle with stomach cancer. His widow, Cheryl Seals is mounting a lawsuit alleging that military care providers missed her husband's cancer. Task & Purpose photo illustration by Aaron Provost

The widow of a soldier whose stomach cancer was allegedly overlooked by Army doctors for four years is mounting a medical malpractice lawsuit against the military, but due to a decades-old legal rule known as the Feres Doctrine, her case will likely be dismissed before it ever goes to trial.

Read More Show Less
The first grenade core was accidentally discovered on Nov. 28, 2018, by Virginia Department of Historic Resources staff examining relics recovered from the Betsy, a British ship scuttled during the last major battle of the Revolutionary War. The grenade's iron jacket had dissolved, but its core of black powder remained potent. Within a month or so, more than two dozen were found. (Virginia Department of Historic Resources via The Virginian-Pilot)

In an uh-oh episode of historic proportions, hand grenades from the last major battle of the Revolutionary War recently and repeatedly scrambled bomb squads in Virginia's capital city.

Wait – they had hand grenades in the Revolutionary War? Indeed. Hollow iron balls, filled with black powder, outfitted with a fuse, then lit and thrown.

And more than two dozen have been sitting in cardboard boxes at the Department of Historic Resources, undetected for 30 years.

Read More Show Less