UNSUNG HEROES: The Marine’s Marine Who Gave All On The Streets Of Najaf In Iraq

AP Photo/US Marine Corps, Cpl Dick Kotecki

A decade ago today this week, on Aug. 26, 2004, Pfc. Nicholas Skinner was killed in Najaf, Iraq, while fighting off the Mahdi militia in a final push to surround the Imam Ali mosque. Skinner was a rifleman in Alpha Company “Raiders”, 1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, the primary ground-fighting unit during the battle.

The militia had been using the mosque as a weapons storage point and stronghold due to its religious and cultural significance, which created a major dilemma for military decision makers. The Air Force had been dropping 500-pound joint direct attack munitions to destroy massive weapons and ammunition caches throughout the city, but commanders were under orders to exercise extreme caution in ensuring that the mosque was not damaged in any way. In addition, 1st platoon had already taken its first fatality less than a day earlier when Lance Cpl. Alex Arredondo was shot through the temple while checking on his Marines. Rockets, sniper, and machine-gun fire had already injured numerous other Marines.

On the day the he was killed, Skinner had been engaging enemy combatants in the streets below. The carnage and death all around his platoon’s position looked like something out of a graphic horror movie. Buildings were destroyed, bullet holes had sliced through every wall leaving streaks of daylight pouring into the rooms, and dogs had been seen walking around with human limbs in their mouths, taken off of the enemy fighters killed in the alleys below. Skinner turned his back to the window he had been firing out of when an AK-47 round from the alley below entered under his back just below his protective plates and exited his neck. Skinner was the definition of a fighter; he made it all the way to the operating table at the nearby hospital before succumbing to his wounds.

Skinner was a Marine’s Marine. He was a fighter, an outstanding grappler, and an experienced hunter and fisherman. He was a small town kid from Davenport, Iowa. He could fight longer, harder, and with more tenacity than anyone I have ever met. Back home, he had been a cage fighter with an almost undefeated record prior to joining the Marines in order to serve his country. Skinner was not just brave; he was heroic. He was a mix between Bear Grylls, Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood, and the Dos Equis guy. That is no exaggeration either; literally, he was that good. He was always at the front of everything and never took it easy on anyone. One time when his platoon sergeant got sick during a boat raid, Skinner was the only one who had the balls to reach over and make fun of him about it. He joined the Marines because, as he said, “I love fighting, fishing, and killing … and Marines are the best”.

Skinner was an absolute warrior. Whether he was training, sparring, fishing, hunting, or even just cleaning his weapon, he had this steely eyed determination about him that set him apart. I remember being really pisssed off at him because I loved grappling too, but I could never beat him. Even on deployment, we would roll out the wrestling mats on the top deck of the ship and have grappling tournaments and I would just sit and watch Skinner beat guys two-to-three times his own size. He was a beast. Everyone brings their own personality to the table, but Skinner’s was just intense.

When our commanding officer offered a three-day pass to anyone who went and got the Raider tattoo on his arm, Skinner and his best friend sure enough showed up on Monday with Raider tattoos. They never did get their three-day pass due to our constant training cycle as we were about to deploy, but it didn’t matter to them; they were proud of that tattoo and the night before we left for Iraq, about 20 more Marines went and got the tattoo. When I found out that Skinner had been killed, I couldn’t believe it. I had this shocked disbelief that someone like that could die. When we returned home from Iraq, I went out that first weekend and got the Marine Raider tattoo just like Skinner.

When I think of Valhalla, I think of Skinner. He was hands-down the toughest Marine I have ever met.

Nick, I love you and miss you brother. Until we dine again at the tables in the halls of Valhalla.


Benjamin Franklin nailed it when he said, "Fatigue is the best pillow." True story, Benny. There's nothing like pushing your body so far past exhaustion that you'd willingly, even longingly, take a nap on a concrete slab.

Take $75 off a Casper Mattress and $150 off a Wave Mattress with code TASKANDPURPOSE

And no one knows that better than military service members and we have the pictures to prove it.

Read More Show Less

A low-flying C-17 gave Nashville residents a fright on Friday when the aircraft made several unannounced passes over the city's bustling downtown.

Read More Show Less
George W. Bush/Instagram

This article originally appeared on Business Insider.

Former President George W. Bush is calling for an end to the partial government shutdown, which is about to hit the one-month mark and is currently the longest shutdown in US history.

In an appeal made on Instagram, the 43rd president called on "leaders on both sides to put politics aside, come together, and end this shutdown." The caption was posted with an image of him and former First Lady Laura Bush giving pizza to their Secret Service detail.

Read More Show Less
Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested on Jan. 29, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Wilmington Police Department, North Carolina.)

A special operations Marine is due in court on March 7 after being arrested last year for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend, Task & Purpose has learned.

Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested and charged with assault inflicting serious injury on July 29, 2018, according to Jennifer Dandron, a spokeswoman for police in Wilmington, North Carolina. Evans is currently assigned as a Critical Skills Operator with the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to the Marine Corps Personnel Locator.

Read More Show Less
U.S. Army 1st Lt. Elyse Ping Medvigy conducts a call-for-fire during an artillery shoot south of Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, Aug. 22, 2014. Medvigy, a fire support officer assigned to the 4th Infantry Division's Company D, 1st Battalion, 12th Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, is the first female company fire support officer to serve in an infantry brigade combat team supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Whitney Houston (Photo by U.S. Army photo by Staff Sgt. Whitney Houston)

Following Trump's inauguration, some supporters of ground combat integration assumed he would quickly move to reinstate a ban on women in jobs like the infantry. When this did not happen, advocates breathed a collective sigh of relief, and hundreds of qualified women charted a course in history by entering the newly opened occupational fields.

So earlier this week when the Wall Street Journal published an editorial against women in ground combat by conservative political commentator Heather Mac Donald, the inclination of many ground combat integration supporters was to dismiss it outright. But given Trump's proclivity to make knee jerk policy decisions in response to falling approval ratings and the court's tradition of deference to the military when it comes to policies affecting good order and discipline, it would be unwise to assume the 2016 lifting of the ban on women in ground combat is a done deal.

Read More Show Less